Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N. vieillardi?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice plant aaron
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checked Bob Z's photo lists. There are some excellent pics of this species growing in habitat on New Caledonia. The older vines were definitely lanceolate as Joachim pointed out, but some of the ground shoots displayed a broader leaf shape. Also, there seems to be some variation within the species...both Tre's and Aaron's plants could be N. vieillardii!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim,

According to Jebb and Cheek in Flora Malesiana Vol. 15 2001. The illustrations of N. vieillardii in their work you quote from 1991 are of N. lamii.

Aarons plant looks like all the N. vieillardii I have seen from several different sources. Although there are some differences in the width of the leaves towards the base. they tend to have the broader blunt leaf tips. I have not looked specifically to see if the difference is more to do with climbing vs rosette leaves. With some white hairs on the leaf surface. Usually a reddish color but that could be more environmental. Pitchers are usually reddish with broad wings and those very fine almost hair like filaments along the edge.

I dunno what you have Tre.. but it is not N. vieillardii in my opinion.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thanks Tony for pointing this out! Looking through my literature I found Blumea, Vol 42, No. 1 from 1997 where Jebb and Cheek separated N. lamii from N. viellardii due to its 'almost glabrous nature'.

The plants sold here in Germany as N. viellardii have less wide leafes than Aaron's plant but the shape is similar:

Though I don't know whether these plants are labeled correct or not.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Trent I think it was you I talked with about it. Obviously it is still immature but my bases was on
    http://cpartrat.club.fr/Nepenthes/Ne...ieillardii.HTM
    Since these are in habitat. Intermediate I believe. Notice only one or two are yellow pitchered and some others have the pink splotches in the pitcher. Also Marcel Leucofle's (sp?) book on CP (If anyone has it) has photos of N. vieillardi in habitat with upper pitcher that look like mine. I will try to post the scan of the photo for everyone. Since I know this is a rare book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the photo from the book which will hopefully help ID my plant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I looked at all of Eric's photos and the image above and fail to see any resemblance between them and your plant.

Your plant is a young lower rosette. You can't compare with photos showing mature climbing upper pitchers. The only picture which conforms in size and growth stage is the one on Eric's site labelled, lower rosette from Prony. Clearly the plant Aaron has and the one Joachim has are very similar to the one pictured from the wild. Another thing to notice is the bulbous pitcher base and distinct hip in the pitcher. Have a close look at your leaves also. There should be some very fine white hairs on the surface.

One also has to account that when looking at older photos of 'N. vieillardii'. They may in fact not be photos of that species! N. lamii and N. vieillardii were once considered the same.. and no I don't think you have N. lamii.

Can you give some information on where the plant came from?

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortuanly very little. I bought it from Biophila but Carole did not know where it was from originally. Except she recieved it from another CPer and it was grown from seed. Other then that I have no idea. Do you have any idea about what it is?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast