User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the hottest temperature you ever grew...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    92-97 all summer (during the day)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is considered as significantly cooler nights?
    *scratching head*

From rattler's reply, that 60-65. What's the warmest nights you guys experienced? I am almost 85-90 all year round except for rainy seasons. Haven't been measuring the night temperature but I reckon it can only drop to 75 at most. Air movement and moisture is not a problem 'cos my neps are grown at my balcony, hanging over the parapet.

Any nep I would have a chance with? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can vouch for the night temp drop thing. I moved recently and thought "Great, it's hot and steamy here, the neps will love it!"
    OOPS, with daytime temps reaching 100 F and 95% humidity the plants did great, but after a few weeks of 90 F nights, the highlanders were definitely affected. They all seemed to be happier in the dryer 78 F AC air in a north window just watching the heat outside. I believe the sun raises the temp just enough for them during the day. They are outside now during the spring, but I will swap them with lowlanders in the summer.
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony is right. Night temps are the criytical issue with highlanders. We have some highland plants here in our 12 feet above sealevel greenhouse in south Florida. Winter temps are fine for most, but its the summer that's killer. Our summer nights can consistently run 78-80 degrees F for months. We've pretty much established that if a Nep comes from about 700 meter altitude to about 1100 meter altitude, it will survive but definitely slow down and stop pitchering for 4 to five months out of the year. Neps that typically grow above 1000 meters really suffer or flat out die. Clyde Bramblett kept N. burbidgeae going in his big greenhouse for years before Andrew decided to relocate it and several hundred other Nepenthes somewhere out in the everglades. During the summer, it would stop pitchering and stall its growth, but pick up again in fall when night temps would drop.
    During winter, day temps in our greenhouse may reach 90 degrees F, if for only a few hours, but nights would be between 55 and 65 F, with the occasional cold front night plunge down to 50, when heaters go to work. What is interesting is we have noted a sort of temperature "sweet spot", where lowland and many highland Neps can grow side by side. With lows of 58 to 65 degrees F and days topping out at 90F, you can grow highland veitchii, maxima, burbidgeae and other lower montane species side by side with bicalcarata, sumatrana and northiana(as long as constant high humidity is maintained).
    Hope this is helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grow chamber gets to 85 F during the day, and drops to 75 F at night.

I have a N. ventricosa that is thriving, and a N. ephippiata that is limping, both in the same chamber.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott,
    If you could get your nights down below 70, say, 65-70F, your ephippiata might stop limping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trent @ May 18 2005,11:38)]Scott,
    If you could get your nights down below 70, say, 65-70F, your ephippiata might stop limping.
    Yes, I read in my Nepenthes of Sabah book that N. ephippiata grows in montane forests above 1700 m. That's a true highlander.

Without an AC unit, I am not sure how I can climate-control enough to do that.

I may just end up trading it for a more versatile highlander (more along the lines of N. ventricosa), or another lowlander.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy: Why dont you get one of those fans which blows out mist for ur balcony! it'll cool down the temperature, and i believe that its not as expensive as it looks
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast