What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the hottest temperature you ever grew...

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
I was just wondering...
smile.gif
and perhaps try a highland nep.

I have exposed khasiana, ventricosa and maxima "Sulawesi" to temps in the 37-40 range (that is C not F)

Can you describe your day and night temps Cindy? In my experience hot days are not so much of a problem as long as nights are still cool. Not sure how cool your nights are though..

N. sanguinea might also manage ok...

Perhaps Trent can offer some suggestions since he is in a much warmer climate than I am.

Tony

Who said anything about 49c ?

My highland ghouse can easily reach 88-90 during a heatwave here on a sunny day. There is however alot of air movement and alot of moisture in the air. Followed by significantly cooler nights they don't seem bothered at all.

my entire growlist of plants hit 85-95 on some days. you can check your self and see what all ive got growing. like Tony said aslong as you have a nice dip at night(generall gets down to 60-65 at night) most other than the ultra highlanders will do fine. most of the commonly grown highlanders like N. bongso, N. veitchii ect actually are quite adaptable.

My plants went (by accident) to 55ºC in the terrarium a couple days. Sun managed to heat the terrarium. I had things like rajah and macrophyla in there and they didn't bother.

I'm sure it was a momentaneous thing, otherwise they would be toast.

I have breach 100F before without ill effects, besides N. hamatas pitchers drooping, they recovered and no ill effects were observed. But like Tony said, if alot of air movement and moisture is in the air, you can probably get away with it as long as they get a nighttime cool down.

92-97 all summer (during the day)

What is considered as significantly cooler nights?
*scratching head*

From rattler's reply, that 60-65. What's the warmest nights you guys experienced? I am almost 85-90 all year round except for rainy seasons. Haven't been measuring the night temperature but I reckon it can only drop to 75 at most. Air movement and moisture is not a problem 'cos my neps are grown at my balcony, hanging over the parapet.

Any nep I would have a chance with?
smile.gif

I can vouch for the night temp drop thing. I moved recently and thought "Great, it's hot and steamy here, the neps will love it!"
OOPS, with daytime temps reaching 100 F and 95% humidity the plants did great, but after a few weeks of 90 F nights, the highlanders were definitely affected. They all seemed to be happier in the dryer 78 F AC air in a north window just watching the heat outside. I believe the sun raises the temp just enough for them during the day. They are outside now during the spring, but I will swap them with lowlanders in the summer.

Tony is right. Night temps are the criytical issue with highlanders. We have some highland plants here in our 12 feet above sealevel greenhouse in south Florida. Winter temps are fine for most, but its the summer that's killer. Our summer nights can consistently run 78-80 degrees F for months. We've pretty much established that if a Nep comes from about 700 meter altitude to about 1100 meter altitude, it will survive but definitely slow down and stop pitchering for 4 to five months out of the year. Neps that typically grow above 1000 meters really suffer or flat out die. Clyde Bramblett kept N. burbidgeae going in his big greenhouse for years before Andrew decided to relocate it and several hundred other Nepenthes somewhere out in the everglades. During the summer, it would stop pitchering and stall its growth, but pick up again in fall when night temps would drop.
During winter, day temps in our greenhouse may reach 90 degrees F, if for only a few hours, but nights would be between 55 and 65 F, with the occasional cold front night plunge down to 50, when heaters go to work. What is interesting is we have noted a sort of temperature "sweet spot", where lowland and many highland Neps can grow side by side. With lows of 58 to 65 degrees F and days topping out at 90F, you can grow highland veitchii, maxima, burbidgeae and other lower montane species side by side with bicalcarata, sumatrana and northiana(as long as constant high humidity is maintained).
Hope this is helpful.

My grow chamber gets to 85 F during the day, and drops to 75 F at night.

I have a N. ventricosa that is thriving, and a N. ephippiata that is limping, both in the same chamber.

Scott,
If you could get your nights down below 70, say, 65-70F, your ephippiata might stop limping.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ May 18 2005,11:38)]Scott,
If you could get your nights down below 70, say, 65-70F, your ephippiata might stop limping.
Yes, I read in my Nepenthes of Sabah book that N. ephippiata grows in montane forests above 1700 m. That's a true highlander.

Without an AC unit, I am not sure how I can climate-control enough to do that.

I may just end up trading it for a more versatile highlander (more along the lines of N. ventricosa), or another lowlander.

Cindy: Why dont you get one of those fans which blows out mist for ur balcony! it'll cool down the temperature, and i believe that its not as expensive as it looks

I know a veteran grower that grows N. glabrata with temps
day: 90 night: 70
Oddly enough, it grows very well for him as a lowland, it does much better than his other N.glabrata growing in highland temps.

I've had my guys outdoors in full sun deal with dry Santa Ana winds here in California for several days at around 90 F. The temp around the plant may be higher because of the full sun beating down on it. The humidity was around 10-20% if that. They did alright. But since I live near the coast, the night dipped down into the upper 50's possible low 60's. So my plants didn't have that continuous drain of high temps. So I think Tony is right on about that aspect. I have the opposite effect when I try to adapt lowlanders or intermediates outdoors during my winters. The sustained colder temps get 'em.

Joel

Back