What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple new pics

Couple new pics to share with everyone.
Let's see...
predator #2 trying hard to look like a hamata

predator.jpg

Lowii gunung mulu?
lowii(mulu-).jpg

Lowii gunung trus madi,
I like this guy a lot. a bit more exciting than its cousin

lowii(trus-madi).jpg

here we have a very ugly macfarlenei. I took the picture though to show the mystery fluid uder the lid. Yuck!

macfarlenei.jpg

and I had to throw this one in. I know I posted it before but it looks good from this angle ;)

N.-yourguess.jpg

Thanks for lookin'
Robin
smile.gif

My GOD! You called a Nep ugly? Nepenthes are never ugly!

BEAUTIFUL plants!

very nice pictures

some of my neps ooz necter from thier lids too, I usually wipe it with my finger and eat it....

If you think your macfarlanei is ugly, I'll gladly trade you for it
biggrin.gif
! All your plants look great.

Nice shots! Very healthy looking plants you've got there.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks guys. Glad you liked em. That's pretty gross Jess
smile_m_32.gif

Robin

Hi Robin
Some wonderfull looking plants there.Nepenthes and ugly dont appear on the same page for me
smile.gif
.Its amazing how different peoples Predator,s are in time there is going to be some stunning plants about.The lowii,s have stunning colouration do they get natural light or is it due to tubes??
Anymore photos of your set up?
bye for now julian

They are beautiful! I loved the macfarlenei. NOT ugly.
smile.gif

thanks for the compliments everyone. I guess I'm bieng a bit too picky. lol . part of my neurosis ;)
Julian, my Lowii are in this shower stall which is lit with a 250w metal halide, and 3 - 65w compact flourescents(home depot). Both pitchers are in relative shade though, so I would say that is they're natural color. here is my settup.

highlandchamber.jpg

here is a pic of my other pradator.. same age, but quite a bit larger than the other one. I would guess it's due to truncata being more dominant in this one.

predlatest.jpg

Oh I almost forgot this guy
arist.jpg

Robin:)

Nice plants!!!

The aristolochoides is awesome, I hope mine will get pitchers like yours. How old is your plant?

Cheers,
Max

Now THAT is an aristo! Nice plants Robin!!! My two Predators look completely different as well, though it looks like your first one has more hamata than either of mine. Nice growing!!!

Capslock

Hi Robin
Yes i like the shower set up it looks great and you can see the plants like it for sure.Who do the 2 vines belong to at the back?Wow the 2nd Predator is a stunner (the to get list just keeps on growing) and that Aristolochoides ,nothing more needs to be said
smile.gif
.As Max said how old is it? and do you find it a fairly easy grower or has it any querks?
Thanx again,great set up and dont be shy with the photos
smile.gif

Bye for now julian

thanks Max ,Julian ,and Capslock. I can't say for sure how old the aristo is. I got it when it was about 2" across, and I have had it for about 2 years now. It has started to vine, and is now a little over 1 1/2' tall. Pitcher size has increased dramatically with the first couple pitchers on the vine.

aristo.jpg

The 2 vines in the back are hamata. here is a current picture.

hamvine.jpg

hamspread.jpg

this is a bilge fan set to go on @ 82 degrees, and circulate warm air, while preventing overheating.

fan.jpg

and the top.

lights.jpg

As far as ease of growth, it was slow at first. Then I did several things all at once. I moved them into this shower. I started fertilizing, using fungicide, and miticide regularly, and keeping my temps from 50/60 to 75/85 all year, as well as transplanting into coconut chips. The aristo as well as all my other plants really took off! My hamata grew over 2 feet in a year. Even my villosa are thriving in this enviroment. I can't say enough about getting the basics down.

Hope that helps,
Robin
smile.gif

i love the setup Robin. i need to build a heated garage so i can do stuff like that. N. hamata is definatly next on my must get list. guess i better give Tony a call after the wedding
smile_n_32.gif

Now that is a set up
smile_k_ani_32.gif

The Hamata vine ,s are amazing,it sure looks lush in there.
Bye for now julian

Robin,

TERRIFIC!!!! I believe everyone in unison will agree that they're the best looking plants and of course the most wanted species too!

If the temperature is in low 80's, how do you cool it? How cool, does it get in there? By looking at the moss' luxuriant growth, it must have good humidity.

Very nice immaginative set up!

Look forward to your pics of blooming plants hopefully in the near future.

MM

Thanks for the compliments RainforestGuy. temps get down to 50's at night naturaly during most of the year. During the summer I hook up an AC to keep night time temps around 60. Also have sonic humidifier set to 75-80%. I have several other settups, but this one is by far the cheapest to build, most efficient, and easy to regulate. Yes, hopefully I'll get some hamata's flowering this year (crossing fingers).
Thanks again,
Robin
smile.gif

rlhirst, Impressive photos! What fertiliser do you use and in what quantity?

Nice shower cubicle idea!

C

R,
You must have gotten your aristo around the exact same time I did! I also got mine at about 2 or 3" across (Tony, how big are they when you ship e'm?), and now it's at least an 18" vine, if not a bit longer. I also noticed that as soon as the plant started to vine, the pitcher size greatly increased. I would put the largest pitcher at somewhere between 1.5 and 2" or so. Does that jive with your plant?

Thanks MadAboutCPs. 20-10-10 no name acid fertilizer. I would like to have some real orchid fert, but this stuff seems to work fine so I'll use it up.
I use about 1/4 tsp per gal. should work out to less than 100 ppm. Probably once a week or every other week would be good. Make sure you flush em pretty good between waterings.

schloaty, sounds just like my plant. Right around 18".  Maybe the same clone? I may have ya beat by 1/2 an inch or so on your pitcher.
smile_m_32.gif
Can't wait to see real uppers!
Robin

Back