Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air layering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a post here that I can no longer find about air layering of Nep vines. I think that was the term, anyway.

The post linked to a website which described notching the vine in situ, applying rooting hormone to the cut, wrapping LFS around it, wrapping with plastic wrap and waiting.

I did this with my N. coccinea, with excellent results. After 2 months or so, I removed the plastic and founf the LFS completely run through with Nep roots.

I cut it off below the root ball, and planted in my standard mix of Orchid Mix and LFS.

Normally, when starting cuttings, I take one node, and cut of 2/3 of the leaf.

There was plenty of new growth, and one leaf with a well-established pitcher. I left all that on the plant, and so far, it seems to be acclimatizing just fine. It's been several days, and the lone pitcher has shown no sign of dying.

If this experiment progresses as well as it has been, I will be performing this technique more frequently, and will have more well-rooted Nepenthes cuttings to trade.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ May 18 2005,1:53)]Air Layering
    Thanks!
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why I never thought of air-layering my Neps. I have one that's badly in need of a haircut...
    Scott, how did you apply the hormone? Did you use a powder or a paste? I usually use Dip-n-Gro type solutions with my cuttings - the only things I've ever air-layered are rubber trees and Dracenea and they don't take any work at all. I've seen some sort of gel-type of rooting hormone - would that work well?
    Thanks,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (seedjar @ May 18 2005,3:41)]I don't know why I never thought of air-layering my Neps. I have one that's badly in need of a haircut...
    Scott, how did you apply the hormone? Did you use a powder or a paste? I usually use Dip-n-Gro type solutions with my cuttings - the only things I've ever air-layered are rubber trees and Dracenea and they don't take any work at all. I've seen some sort of gel-type of rooting hormone - would that work well?
    Thanks,
    ~Joe
    I used Olivia's Cloning Gel. I applied it to one piece of damp sphagnum, and put that sphagnum in the cut, to keep it from healing. Then I wrapped damp sphagnum around it, covered it in Saran Wrap, and forgot about it for 2-3 months (except for watering it to keep the moss damp).
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried air-layering a N. alata (Luzon) spotted, and it managed to scar over instead of root.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ May 18 2005,4:20)]I tried air-layering a N. alata (Luzon) spotted, and it managed to scar over instead of root.
    Did you prop the cut open with LFS?

Did you notch it, or cut it?
    My Grow List

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiko paste works (bought or home-made)
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast