0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To precent stealing of prey by mammels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Treaqum, but that theory has already been disproven. Neps are no match for mammals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see. Where is the paper that disproved this? I would be very interested in seeing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, guess I should have something to back up my statement eh' lol. I seem to remember reading somewhere that monkeys raid neps for the bugs inside. They don't reach in the pitcher mouth though, they just rip it apart. Poor neps don't stand a chance. Sorry i don't remember where i read it. Perhaps some other members could confirm or deny?
    Thanks,
    Robin [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It only has to lower the percentage of stolen food from mammals to be useful... it doesn't have to stop it completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beautiful thread indeed!.
    Regarding unique nep species such as pervillei, we should not forget to add viellardii, it may have evolved differently as well.
    Some time ago, i wrote to Dr. Clarke regarding the variability of pitcher size, colour, and shape. Again, the question was why are there so many species types in a relatively small area when the amount and type of prey available to meet their nutritional needs is also a limiting factor!. Competition perhaps?
    I think in one of his books, he measured the type of prey trapped by three different neps: two different species and a hybrid derivative between the two.
    Unfortunately, he could not see a clear trapping pattern amongst these three plants.
    Regarding rowanae in Northern Australia, IMO, there are at least 3 species with some hybrids all lumped into one group.
    Evolution is not a casual event, but a constant one.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good point endparenthesis
    , but again, the mamal in question...tree shrew , monkey, or whatever don't geta t the inecsts from the peristome, they would chew thru the base of the pither or shred it entirely. I imagine most monkeys have some huuge caluses from all the tree swinging, and would not even feel the peristome of edwardsiana, much less be disuaded by it. That bieng said, you could be right.
    Another good point Gus. So if the prey is the reatively the same for all pitchers regarless of peristome type or shape, perhaps they developed differently for some other reason... hmmmmm Anyone know what edwardsiana eats?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those toothy peristomes look like they are wanting to keep prey from getting out, not stopping anything from getting in. I wouldnt think anything would taste very good that has been in a trap for a while.
    I am a noobe, so I am sure this has been said before.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast