User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not the most exciting pics, but...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 identifiable forms of rowanae (standard and squat) plus some seedlings that are too small to show clear features, but they are looking pretty squat, I used to have more but an unfortunate incident with a cat peeing on a couple did them in. Cat urine is lethal to Nepenthes. Mine are looking pretty shabby at the moment as we had a very dry summer and they were growing outdoors, so didn't produce any pitchers. They're doing better now that they're in the greenhouse, but it's winter so they've stopped growing.

I visited Rod Kruger's greenhouse last year when I was in Cairns, and his rowanae are spectacular - he has so many different varieties, plus a heap of Australian mirabilis variants I'd never heard of or seen before. Rowanae is an enormous plant when it's mature, and the tendrils get very long. Rod's made some hybrids with rowanae that should be interesting too.

I had a look, and found some mirabilis and rowanae pics that Rod sent me from his expeditions in Cape York. The first four pics are the copyright of Rod Kruger.

mirabilis var A

mirabilis var H

rowanae Q notched

rowanae Z form

and one of my rowanae (pink)

Hope you enjoy.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hope I enjoy?!?!?!!?

AHHHH its rowanae overload!!! that is amazing. I can't say enough. Those pictures have made me even more in love with this plant. You're very lucky to be able to have this plant and potential acess to it. It took my months to get one.
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics Hamish, thanks for sharing. I like the color on your mirabilis H. nice red green contrast. give us more.
    thanks,
    Robin [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow there great looking and some size to them to [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    Bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ May 28 2005,5:19)]It's tempting to go for the showy species like veitchii, hamata, villosa or edwardsiana but there are many other species that are appealing due to their simplicity, elegance or delicateness.
    GO FOR THE EDWARDSIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a great species, villosa is probably the most spectacular in terms of peristome, but both of them are veeeery slow growing. Some of the daintier species reach maturity quite quickly, so you get rewarded with uppers and flowers only after several years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say the rowanaes get huge, give us an example of huge? Huge pitchers? Huge growing vine? I will be getting some rowanaes soon and I'd like to know more about them. Are they tolerant of full direct sunlight? Do they grow wet in swampy conditions? Since there is little info on nep culture in general, knowing what others have found about a particular species is always a plus when its posted on these forum pages.

Aloha,

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst the pitchers are large, they're certainly not the biggest of the genus. They probably get as big as a large bical pitcher. It has long, leathery leaves and long tendrils, so pitchers can hang a long way down from the stem, which look impressive when it's growing on a bench and the pitchers are almost on the ground. They can also grow quite tall, but often the main growing vine will die back, to be replaced with vigorous growth from the root ball and lower stem.

Rowanae likes it hot and steamy. It grows in swamps in its habitat, and can tolerate a lot of sun, although it does not grow in fully exposed areas. In cultivation, it doesn't need to be kept wet, in the same way as you don't need to grow ampullaria in wet conditions. It does not pitcher in low humidity in my experience. It grows well in variety of media, I grow mine in both pure sphagnum and a more peaty mixture.

Hamish

It does not like cold, however. It will tolerate cold nights, but if you subject it to cool days for a lengty period you have a good chance of killing it. It is a true lowlander like this - I find its tolerances are very similar to bicalcarata.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast