What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your photos here of n. khasiana

Hi,

After much speculation with a friend, I am still questioning wether my plant is a khasiana at all. I have seen many plants labelled as N.khasiana on the internet from all over the world.
I don't even have a Nepenthes book with a photo of N.khasiana so I am finding it difficult to determine its actual identity. The fringed wings are not as prominent in this one as it is in photos on the net. Is that primarily due to wether the plant is a juvenile compared to a mature one? Other reasons are below.

Here are a couple of photos of different pitchers:

N.khasiana photo 1
N_khasiana_1.jpg

N.khasiana photo 2
N_khasiana_2.jpg

I have had this plant for five years now and its very self satisfying to see it grow into what it has today ( I remeber when it was a small stick with a few leaves. hehe.). I have found in the recent four pitchers it has produced a 'V' shape cut in the top of the lid that appears asymmetrical as shown in this photo:

N.khasiana photo 3
N_khasiana_3.jpg

As shown in photo 3, photo 4 below shows the reason why it is producing this 'V' shape. It seems that as the pitcher develops, the middle lower lip of the peristome pushes inwards and as the lid opens, this results in the cut on the lid. Is this common or mainly because of the conditions it is growing in?
This one grows in full sun outside and is very frost tolerant.

N.khasiana photo 4
N_khasiana_4.jpg

It has the common features such as the red strip under the persitome. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
C

It looks ike a khansiana with upper pitchers.

Looks more like N. mirabilis to me...

Perhaps a hybrid between the two?

Tony

Treaqum,

I thought khasiana only produces one type of pitcher.

Tony,
That was my intial thought. But I don't believe it is mirabilis or a hybrid as I don't think it would be able to grow in temperatures as low as 8 degrees. However the peristome in the above photos are somewhat similar to the mirabilis photo at this link. And I do believe that the peristome is somewhat similar. Even the not so prominent wings are there:

http://www-cp.stech.co.jp/cp/img/nepe/N-mirabilis-anam01.jpg

And then there is a picture found at the site below which looks like the pitchers from last season.

http://www.carnivorousplants.biz/images/NKhasianaPitchers.jpg

The somewhat bulbous appearance of the lower part of the pitcher seems to be in both the mirabilis and khasiana.

I'm gonna back up Tony on this too. It looks alot like the N. xManny Herrera plants that are bouncing around. It's mirabilis x khasiana. It was a really successful cros that Manny did years ago, and there were lots of seedlings handed out all over the US.
Also, khasiana has a more cap-like lid, almost like a dome shape. Those lids look much more mirabilis like. The "band" below the peristome is a characteristic of khasiana, and I've seen it on some forms of mirabilis too.

My N. Khasiana:
N_khasiana.sized.jpg

My N. x Manny Herrera:
N_x_Manny_Herrera_3.sized.jpg

These are the best photos I have at the moment, I can check the peristome shape on the Manny Herrera tonight.

Capslock

In an earlier topic about the khasiana I asked chi'en lee and he mentioned it was an N.khasiana. However, as it matured, I am not so sure anymore.

That would be great if you could look into that hybrid. I need to know if this is the real thing or not. I'm from AU and not the US so I'm not sure if that plant circulated here.

Here is a photo of the pitcher from last year. I have a few more that exhibit that red flecking as in yours but can't find the photos at the moment. Alot of the earlier pitchers also have the same type of lid and I am now seeing alot of change in the pitchers as they get older and bigger. Mine is already mature and produced one flowerspike already.

Photo taken in winter of 2004
N_khasiana_5.jpg

Photo taken in summer of 2004
N_khasiana_6.jpg

Took some more photos this morning of my second plant labelled as khasiana. I have also noticed close-up that it has a somewhat veined pitcher. Does khasiana have this trait?

The juvenile pitchers has a dome (cap-like) as you mentioned but as the plant aged I have noticed that each new pitcher was slight different to the previous one.

Photo 9
N_khasiana_9.jpg

Photo 10
N_khasiana_10.jpg

cheers,
C

I grow a Khasiana x Ventricosa and on the pitchers you have the slight inturned front of the mouth as in your photos and all so it has the light almost tiger stripes aswell its a very easy plant to grow aswell.I was wondering if i had a pure Khasiana how it would cope with being left out side all summer as the humididy and temps might be a bit low what sort of ranges do you think it could cope with?Im going to take a few snaps of it so you can see the khsaiana in the cross.
Bye for now  julian
upper1.jpg

trent,

In regards to lid shape, when the pitcher first opens it appears dome shaped. When it completely opens it flares upwards. I don't think that would be a trait to base the answer on. I have seen pitchers on different plants labelled as N.khasiana with a domed lid or a flared lid.

example found at:

http://www.photovault.com/Link....na.html

------------------

hi julian,

thanks for your input. At least I can say that my plant is not a khasiana x ventricosa. However, In your photo the peristomes has not completely opened yet, and I am not sure how the 'V' shape develops in your lid. As I mentioned earlier, it has only been in the recent 4 pitchers that this has occurred.
My plant does not exhibit the slight flared peristome and does not converge onto the lid like that. Pitcher shape is also different.

My question is, that if the plant is grown outside without any protection at all, would this affect the development and shape of pitchers differently than to ones grown indoors or greenhouses?

Does anyone have a mirabilis x khasiana or khasiana x mirabilis growing outdoors without protection?

cheers,
C
That would be great for you to post up more pictures.

Hi C
good question about being inside or outside to see how development differs,ive not long put a Khasiana x Ventricosa outside to face the good old British elements.
Will see if it looks different in a couple of months or 6
I will add o photo a bit later.
Bye for now  Julian
out.jpg

All right I will say I am crazy and have the Nep ID skills of a general cp obsessor.

Here is a site I found with a PICTORIAL IDENTIFICATION  MANUAL OF CITES PLANTS IN INDIA In relation to Khasiana. There is more information than I have quoted.

Link: http://www.bsienvis.org/citesplant.htm#Nepenthes%20khasiana

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Description:

Dioecious, shrubs, climbing by leaves. Leaves alternate; an expanded lamina with tendril terminated by a pendant, coloured cylindrical pitcher with a recurved fluted rim and operculum. Inflorescence raceme or panicle. Flowers actinomorphic. Tepals 3 – 4, in 2 whorls, nectariferous. Male flowers -  stamens  2 – 24, filaments connate; anthers bilocular. Female flowers – carpels 3 – 4, ovary superior; ovules many, style 1, stigma discoid. Fruits elongated, leathery capsule. Seeds numerous, filiform.

chesara,
6 months may be the minimum in order for it to re-adjust. As I've said earlier I have been growing this plant for 5 years now and it is quite weird in its growth habits.

-------------

Treaqum,
I guess we all get de-sensitised at some point.

---------------------

Even in the male khasiana plant I have, some leaves alternate and some are parrallel as can be seen in earlier photos. This is the case for the female.
A mate mentioned that fine hairs along the edge of the leaf blade are a trait of mirabilis. I have found this trait in other Nepenthes other than ventricosa.
Does anyone have a Khasiana with these fine hairs along their edges with either a parallel or alternate terminating leaf blade?

Here is a photo of the inflorescence.

N_khasiana_inflorescence.jpg

If anyone know of or has information about determining a plant species by their leaves, pitchers and inflorescence could you please post the relevant details. thanks.

C

Hi C
Yes 6 months is not long i know but being as im the UK the weather will proberly be that bad it will have come in by then.We will just have to see how it goes
smile.gif

Cheers julian

I have a friend in India that tells me that they have many color variations of N. khasiana there and they even have male plants too! Someone told me that it is rare to find a male N. khasiana, anybody out there have a guaranteed male plant (purebred)?
I have four forms of N. khasiana but are too small to show any details on it.

Rainforest guy,

I'm sure there are a few color variants, but it appears certain countries only have a particular clone when they were imported a while back. Are there any variations in pitchers and leafs?
I believe the females are just as rare.

juvenile photos are just as good to post as there aren't many.

If you check all of the hybrids made on N. khasiana, it appears that the first plant (female) of the cross is always a N. khasiana. If anyone knows of a cross where N. khasiana is on the second half of the grex or a male, I would be interested in knowing.

MM

Hi MM,

I don't know of any hybrid yet where the male is khasiana. In fact it seems that this species has been left out because it is CITES 1.

I spoke with Marcello and he believes it to be a khasiana. You can tell by the way the leaves attach to the vine and whats under the lid. He believes that my khasiana seems to have a wider lid, but as we know the pitchers are polymorphic. Further to this, because I grow my plant in the open with no protection, this suggests the difference in a somewhat warped pitcher in comparison to others that grow in shade.

I also spoke with the individuals where the plant came from and they agreed that because there is so much variation in pitchers that you could not entirley base this as an answer. It appears this one was seed grown as I guessed as there are both lower and upper pitchers.

Cheers,
C

Seeking a male N. khasiana. Anyone owns one? Photo of a male inflorescence.
I recently spoke with another grower of nepenthes and he tells me of the six nepenthes he has from seed, all but one flowered and were all females.

As for variations, again, in India, a friend tells me there are red, pink pitchered forms, yellow, spotted, green, even a purple. I hear there is also a variegated form as well. He might send me some photos in the future, I'll be sure to post them when he does.

MM

I can say for sure it is not a khasiana x ventricosa as the pitchers are not short, stocky and tubby.

Supposedly all khasiana plants here in AU are male. Can anyone else back this up?

Back