What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes judith finn

I've fallen in love with pictures on this board and elsewhere online. My question is, are they good for a beginner? I've read online that they are pretty tough. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Randi

Well, I think you're going to find differing opinions on this hybrid. For me, it's a pain in the patooty. It grew fine at first, but then it decided to go into suspeded annimation on me. I am only now getting my first pitcher in over a year.

My judith finn took forever to begin pitchering, but once I got it into lowland-ish conditions (the humidity isn't very good and the temp isn't stable, but it is pretty warm in the day and there's plenty of light) it started to take off. It's now one of my most productive plants. It's a very beautiful hybrid, when it wants to be. If you want a sure shot, this probably isn't the right plant for you, but if you have success with lowlanders or intermediates, it's worth a try.
~Joe

huh, lowland, eh?
No wonder. I always thought this plant was a hybrid of highland species....Maybe that explains my difficulties with it.
Food for thought....and experiment!

Er, I think it's a lowland hybrid... it's got N. ampullaria and N. rafflesiana, I'm pretty sure.
~Joe

Uh... its parents are spathulata x veitchii. That's highland, but mine grows perfeclty in intermediate conditions. It has put out three pitchers in a month and half. I'll have to put a pic up later.
-Nick

seedjar are u sure its not N.coccenia your growing??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TyFone @ June 18 2005,12:46)]seedjar are u sure its not N.coccenia your growing??
I'm sure it's not coccinea, yes, but I think I was remembering coccinea's parentage. :)
I guess it's the vietchii that gives it lowland characteristics.
~Joe

The cross of N. ampullaria and N. rafflesiana produces N.hookeriana if i am not mistaken.
And about judith finn- as long as you provide high humidity like all other nep's there is no reason it wont grow well.

I find that Judith Finn from AgristartsII grows much better as a lowlander. In Hawaii, it grows rapidly and I believe that its due to the bright light and humidity. I have had four inch pitchers forming on plants in a four inch pot. Try growing them in a larger pot about six inch if you want faster growth. They grow rapidly but appreciate frequent liquid feed between heavy watering.

Michael

IME it is a pain stakeingly slow growing plant that doesn`t grow pitchers very soon after arrival(I`ve had mine almost a year and none yet).

cocinea is (ampularia x raflesiana)x mirablis (could be the reverse) if I`m not mistaken.

Wow! I feel special cause it grows rapidly for me. The pitchers are enormous in comparison to plant/pitcher ratio.
I also have the cross of N. spathulata x veitchii h/l from EP and that one is very slow. But the tc clone of JF is a fast grower for me, any way. I just repotted the remainder of the JF from 4 inch pots to larger hanging baskets.

Michael

Since mine actually started growing (it was the last to resume growth of all the plants I aquired with it) I've had the same experience as Michael. The pitchers are just a hair shorter than the leaves themselves, noticably larger than any other Nep I have.
~Joe

Back