What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there any nep species that

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Just wondering. In cultivation and/or wild.

Thanks

There are a couple of species that are very intermittant producers of upper pitchers: notably ampullaria and gymnamphora, and even when ampullaria produces them they are vestigial.

In cultivation, you probably won't ever get to see uppers on N. villosa or N. macrophylla, unless you've had the plant your whole life, or got a mature cutting somehow. N. rajah would be another lower pitcher only candidate. Not that these plants won't produce them, but don't count on seeing any.

Dustin, I've seen both uppers on rajah and macrophylla in cultivation, and I know of two growers whose rajahs have flowered. Villosa is one that we'll need to wait a few more years. But they do produce uppers.

I've heard conflicting reports on sibuyanensis. In the wild uppers have not been seen but a few growers claim they have uppers. I can't give you any sources because the site written by the actual explorers seems to have disappeared.

-D. Lybrand

Sibyanensis does produce uppers as well. They are very pale, cylindrical and smaller than lower pitchers. There is a pic at:
sibup.jpg

Hamish

Nice pic hamish,

pitcher shape and peristome is similar to that of ventricosa. are sibuyanensis and ventricosa related?

c

In my opinion, they're very closely related. You particularly see it in hybrids - hybrids with sibuyanensis look like identical but larger versions of the same hybrid with ventricosa.

Back