What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps at lowe's - gublers

I got a "domed" nep at Lowe's yesterday that was grown by Gubler's. Anyone know what nep it is likely to be? I'm brand new to CPs, and this is a youngster, of course, with a 4" leaf span. Is it possible to identify it at its young age? I can't post a pic, but if anyone can even tell me what neps are most commonly sold by Gubler's and carried at Lowe's, it would be a start. Don't know how to properly care for it! Oh. . . it does say on the dome that its a nep hybrid. Thanks!

Randi

If it's a hybrid, x Ventrata is a distinct possibility. Take a look at BobZ's CP photo finder page and look up Nepenthes x Ventrata to compare. If you search the Nep forums here for hybrids, I think you'll be able to find a thread discussing common hybrids... I seem to remember this coming up a few months back.
Good luck.
~Joe

I got a nice N. ventricosa red from Gublers once, so that's a possibility too. You'll have to wait till it's older to know for sure.

In any case, it will be an easy nep to take care of. Make sure the soil stays wet, but don't sit it in water. Give it bright light, but not direct sunlight for very long, and household temperatures should be fine!

Capslock

And mine, according to many people here, is an N. sanguinea. Aren't ya glad you asked?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

All of Gubler's plants are from Agri Starts or De Roose, I'm told. That means you're probably looking at ventrata, miranda, ventricosa, sanguinea, rafflesiana or Judith Finn. Most likely not a raff or miranda. Most of what I've seen in the stores is ventrata or ventricosa.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gr8oz @ June 07 2005,10:48)]All of Gubler's plants are from Agri Starts or De Roose, I'm told.  That means you're probably looking at ventrata, miranda, ventricosa, sanguinea, rafflesiana or Judith Finn.  Most likely not a raff or miranda.  
Or Coccinea.

There are plants from SF Nurseryman's exchange that come with an illustrated tag insert on a wire stick showing a nepenthes pitcher plant, that is originally from Agristarts.

Other than that Ventrata, Coccinea, Miranda, tobaica, ventricosa, Judith Finn, sanguinea, rafflesiana, and if you are lucky, N. truncata as well, will be most likely what you'd find at WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

MM

Back