What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preserving pitchers

I have two ideas that you could try:

The idea is to seal what you want to preserve by taking away all the oxygen around or in it.
There is much difference with acrylic and enamel paints. Acrylic is a water based paint and enamel is an oil based paint. And these paints come in any color except clear.
What you should be using is a product such as a clear bondcrete or bondcrylic (ie. a clear PVA). Do not use a varnish as these are oil-based and generally a yellow color. It will discolour the look of what you are trying to achieve.

You could always find a nice looking jar with a lid and use a home found preservative such white vinegar (it is clear).

C

There should be easier ways to preserve a Pitcher! For example....someone does know how the liquid the preserve human parts like hearts,and so on is called? It is used in hospitals!
Bye!
Mr_Aga

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrAga73 @ June 16 2005,7:26)]There should be easier ways to preserve a Pitcher! For example....someone does know how the liquid the preserve human parts like hearts,and so on is called? It is used in hospitals!
Bye!
Mr_Aga
i think you're referring to either formaldehyde or formalin, which are used a lot in biology classes to preserve specimens... formaldehyde generally isn't used anymore since it was discovered to be a carcinogen. as a student who has dissected many creatures/parts preserved in formalin, i can tell you that a) it smells pretty bad and b) any animal/body part preserved in a jar of the stuff looks kinda bloated and pale. plus, i don't know how formalin would react with plant tissues as opposed to animal tissues.... i haven't learned organic chemistry yet ;)

also, wouldn't preserving plants in any kind of liquid give it a bit of a "pickled" look? i'd imagine the cells would lose water to the solution (yay osmosis).

And to think I dissected a cat in 12th grade AP bio that was preserved with formaldehyde.

Not to mention uisng it on a daily basis as a medication for tropical fish for 6 years.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I think if you took a freshly cut pitcher and total encased it with the casting resin, like they do when they make a paper weight, it would not lose it's color.
Maybe something to try in the near future.

I am going to try it again when I get a suitable mold.

I have a feeling the Polyester Casting Resin would work great (like elgecko said)... I'm just looking at a truncata pitcher I'd want to keep, and wondering if it can be contained in less than $50 worth of resin.
smile.gif

I wonder if you can brush that stuff on?

I'm not sure how well you would be able to coat the inside of the pitcher. The stuff I'm using on a project of mine is EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy. It's a 2 part mix, and I brush it on with the sponge brushes you can buy at any home improvement or craft store.
Make sure that you use equal parts or it does not completly dry. Found out the hard way when I was off just a touch on my amounts.

http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/castresn/castresn.htm#easy

Back