Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preserving pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Just sprayed the traps with an acrylic paint spray and they last forever.
    I noticed this idea in another thread and thought it warranted its own discussion. I hadn't heard of doing this before and would like to try it out, and it would be great to get more details on it.

Do you use an actual sort of paint, or is it just that sealant spray that artists use to "fix" their finished drawings so they can't get smudged? How heavily do you have to layer it on? Any other tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I "press" them like flowers. Well I mean all plants not just pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your question is how to preserve for the eternity a pitcher,then this is also my question!
    What materials to use?
    Bye!
    Mr_Aga
    Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an idea... instead of pressing the pitchers, maybe if you fill them up with dry sand (packed tightly) and then burry them in more sand, maybe they would dry up in that state and then you can just take out the sand and have your dry, 3-D pitcher :P then you could spray it with something so it doesn't crumple up?

I can't try it since I don't have any neps with pitchers (I have two cuttings but they're still new and don't have pitchers) so I don't know how well it would work.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the botanical gardens in Singapore they sell little pitchers preserved inside clear resin. They put them in there while the resin is hot and liquid and after it cools it becomes hard.
    They sell gracilis and, if I recall correctly, rafflesiana too, and they maintained their shape and colour very well.

Phil Mann has a HUUUGE trusmadiensis pitcher that he dried in sand exactly as you describe Alphawolf. That worked very well, but the pitchers go brown of course.
    He spray painted his gold... (different strokes and all that).

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preserving Pitchers is not easy.
    I have to know exactly the name of liquid resin.
    Or maybe I have to find another way...
    I could try to begin to use sand and see how it will come out. But before to use Sand I have to wash deeply the pictchers to remove any sugar parts....it could react with the sand.
    Mr_Aga
    Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]In the botanical gardens in Singapore they sell little pitchers preserved inside clear resin. They put them in there while the resin is hot and liquid and after it cools it becomes hard.
    They sell gracilis and, if I recall correctly, rafflesiana too, and they maintained their shape and colour very well.
    I'm with you guy's on this one.
    This sounds like what I want to do as well. Especially if they keep the color! A full size hamata would look awesome.

Anyone know what type of resin they use? Any "plastic" people here?

thanks,
    Robin
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ June 11 2005,1:40)]I have an idea... instead of pressing the pitchers, maybe if you fill them up with dry sand (packed tightly) and then burry them in more sand, maybe they would dry up in that state and then you can just take out the sand and have your dry, 3-D pitcher :P then you could spray it with something so it doesn't crumple up?

I can't try it since I don't have any neps with pitchers (I have two cuttings but they're still new and don't have pitchers) so I don't know how well it would work.
    i bet decomposition would take place before its dry. and it'll look dried and messed up also. maybe dipping the whole thing in ethanol (preservative) remove excess ethanol and then spray with some sort of plastic or acrylic (so they look alive).
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast