What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trip to longwood gardens

Ok i was at longwood gardens again as i usually go in may i know that its a month later but i was busy at the time with school etc. So i was at longwood and i was looking at the cp table they always have and also they had some nice nepenthes in baskets that were huge plants with some big pitchers on them. I got a whole bunch of pictures of them. well here i happened to look in a off limits greenhouse that i never noticed that was connected onto the conservatory that was off limits to guest. Im sure if you asked they would let you in it. it had some nice truncata and must of been over 50 nepenthes in this small greenhouse. Well  i wont post each picture directly on here but on my website i put up a page about it so enjoy them. next time i go there i want to see someone in charge to see about going in there.Ok well for some reason the link wont allow any one on it so go to my website at     nepenthes.s5.com      and then go to the longwood gardens link under my growlist link. sorry about this.  

smile_n_32.gif

Well when I was there I happened to notice this room was open. It is very nice. Many species and hybrids are in there. I think they don't let you in there because too many little kids would touch them and stuff which is not good.

The room that you are talking about is the Nepenthes grow room. I have been past it before and know exactly what you are talking about; the room was open this past Christmas for their Christmas display - you were allowed to walk thru this room to get to the other displays. My only dismay at the fact that the room was open at that time, was that cold air was drifting into the room (and I mean cold air during Nov/Dec) and I didn't think that that was very appropriate for the plants present. There were no signs indicating what type of plants they were so people just nonchalantly walked past them (except for people like me, of course!) They do have a very nice (but small) selection of carnivorous plants and Neps, but I have always had the suspicion that they really don't have anyone there who really knows about the plants (or least gets some new species or makes the exhibit more exiciting). Since I am a member of Longwood, I have always thought about writing to them about this.
smile.gif

Ya im sure if i asked them they would let me in cause if you show an interest in it them they probably wouldnt care. exept for the fact that theres not many staff members walking around there.

Back