Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanging baskets outside

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep 4 or 5 hanging baskets in the low branches of a nectarine tree in my backyard in the Florida (hot, miserable, sticky, and humid!) weather and they do fine. I just have to make sure they get plenty of water - even with the daily rains they dry out pretty fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sanguinea and ventrata would be considered vigorous great starter plants for outdoors. I don't grow ventrata, but ventricosa and alata do just dandy. Coccinea has very papery leaves so humidity would be an initial concern. I'm experimenting with mirabilis outdoors with some success. If you move them outdoors expect some burning and discoloring of the leaves, and pitcher loss depeneding on the species / hybrid. I would expect this with coccinea but not with sanguinea. I don't know the conditions in PA, but my plants outdoors in full sun yearround go from 90's on rare occasion with 20% Santa Ana wind conditions( limited time) to upper 30's in winter. And yes, some do stress. But your true highlanders you mentioned is what I'd experiment with. You can always move them back indoors in winter when you get nasty weather. Hope that helps. You can visit my site for more helpful info. if you'd like.

Joel

Nepenthes Around the House

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim,
    I live in Delaware and just recently put my N. rafflesiana clone 99 outside on my back deck hanging in between the branches of my Angel Trumpet "Charles Grimaldi", where it gets some sun and shade. Since it's been so humid here, I figured what the heck. I may even put my N. sumatrana out there if I can find a hanging basket for it!
    Nick [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your input - especially BCK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, where do I send my pics to?

But as for N. Coccinea, even though it is like a N. mirabilis type, it can withstand very very hot, sunny and even windy conditions. I feel it is fool-proof! I have many extra large plants growing in five gallon drums in full sunlight with their leads constantly being tipped, the newer side branches are already adapted to the hot bright light even though the large parent leaves are reddish brown to burned yellow-white. The pitchers are most fantastic with many a solid red and a vividly striped peristome. Even their upper pitchers are gorgeous solid red with mouths flaring outward on vigorous plants.

I even noticed that N. Miranda can take the ehat and sunlight as well.

Best of luck to your new growing site!

M
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12