What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hanging baskets outside

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have N. sanguinea, possibly am N. coccinea, a well as cuttings of ventrata, miranda, more coccinea, and something  picked up from Lowes. Currently, they are all indoors, at the lab. Do you think they can handle SE PA summers, hanging from a southern exposure (yet partially shielded) front porch?

Maybe. Depends on the humidity.

Is there a TerraForums for dummies (for me?) I have a few photos here and there and would like to post them. Can someone just e-mail me with a step by step way of doing it.

I have a few photos of my plants that I have moved out in full sunlight just to see how it would do. Many show a real bad burn on their leaves, and eventually newer leaves overlap older leaves and the newer leaves are more sun tolerant-resistant than the previous lower leaves.
I have many plants in full Hawaii (deep dark tanning) sun. They hide many sunburn scars. The leaves and traps are thick, leathery and very colorful. I have my N. Gentles in full sun and they've turned almost black with lime green mottling and a bright orange peristome. Their lids are a calico of brown, orange and purple. Leaf surfaces are covered with a silvery felt over to the tendril and on the pitchers themselves. Plants grow erect and now currently sports flower spikes that appear to be male flowers.

Burn them, and watch how they adapt to their new conditions. I wouldn't move seedlings out like that, just more matured plants. I've done this with N. rafflesiana, ampullaria and tobaica and have gotten larger, leathery more colorful leaves.

M

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ June 12 2005,8:20)]Maybe.  Depends on the humidity.
Tre,

Southeast PA + summer = Florida weather (hot, miserable, sticky, and humid!)

Steve, I can't believe I am saying this:

Rainforestguy, you can Email the pics and I can post them.
smile.gif

Okay Jim. Put anything outside you'd like. Hmm my bical is getting a much bigger pitcher now that it is actually outside and not on the porch. My highlands don't like summer too much but the lowlands love it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 13 2005,8:04)]Steve, I can't believe I am saying this:

Rainforestguy, you can Email the pics and I can post them.
smile.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

I keep 4 or 5 hanging baskets in the low branches of a nectarine tree in my backyard in the Florida (hot, miserable, sticky, and humid!) weather and they do fine. I just have to make sure they get plenty of water - even with the daily rains they dry out pretty fast

Sanguinea and ventrata would be considered vigorous great starter plants for outdoors. I don't grow ventrata, but ventricosa and alata do just dandy. Coccinea has very papery leaves so humidity would be an initial concern. I'm experimenting with mirabilis outdoors with some success. If you move them outdoors expect some burning and discoloring of the leaves, and pitcher loss depeneding on the species / hybrid. I would expect this with coccinea but not with sanguinea. I don't know the conditions in PA, but my plants outdoors in full sun yearround go from 90's on rare occasion with 20% Santa Ana wind conditions( limited time) to upper 30's in winter. And yes, some do stress. But your true highlanders you mentioned is what I'd experiment with. You can always move them back indoors in winter when you get nasty weather. Hope that helps. You can visit my site for more helpful info. if you'd like.

Joel

Nepenthes Around the House

Hey Jim,
I live in Delaware and just recently put my N. rafflesiana clone 99 outside on my back deck hanging in between the branches of my Angel Trumpet "Charles Grimaldi", where it gets some sun and shade. Since it's been so humid here, I figured what the heck. I may even put my N. sumatrana out there if I can find a hanging basket for it!
Nick
smile.gif

Thank you for your input - especially BCK!

OK, where do I send my pics to?

But as for N. Coccinea, even though it is like a N. mirabilis type, it can withstand very very hot, sunny and even windy conditions. I feel it is fool-proof! I have many extra large plants growing in five gallon drums in full sunlight with their leads constantly being tipped, the newer side branches are already adapted to the hot bright light even though the large parent leaves are reddish brown to burned yellow-white. The pitchers are most fantastic with many a solid red and a vividly striped peristome. Even their upper pitchers are gorgeous solid red with mouths flaring outward on vigorous plants.

I even noticed that N. Miranda can take the ehat and sunlight as well.

Best of luck to your new growing site!

M

Back