User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was given a carnivorous pitcher plant....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tags for labeling plants are usually made by another company and photos are used indescriminately for a plant that it resembles. In no way is Deroos nursery intelligent enough to even know the mother plant of anything. The tc clones are propagated in Belgium invitro and shipped to Florida where it is exvitro and grown out. Unfortuneately Deroos has grown very rapidly and their staffing not the best for plants in general. But they still do maintain the growing conditions and cultivation of these plants for retail markets. The hanging basket system they incorporate uses the "well" system also brought in from Europe. The six inch baskets have the catchment under the pot as a water well for the plants to continually drink from, while the eight inch hanging baskets have an internal well with a higher central overflow drain allowing water to remain down below unless tipped sideways.

The plants are Ventrata and even though the tag says it is alata, it clearly is not (Don't believe everything you read)!

As for care, give it as much light as you can and water regularly, a dilute fertilizer like Growmore Liquid Seaweed fertilizer works very well and do use Superthrive! Deroos nursery prunes the plants whenever they reach a height approaching the basket hangers. The hanging basket conatins two plants planted together and when pruned, they encourage many side shoots to develop.

Good luck!!

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, thank you all for the insight. It is very helpful and appreciated. One question, .... does this hybrid happen in the wild, or is it strictly "man-made"? Are there places that can guarantee a pure alata or pure ventricosa plant if you wanted one?

By the way, I did find out the local lowes hardware is where my friend got it. (His friend works there.) He thinks I'm ridiculous for trying to save it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the pure parents are easy to get ahold of, especially ventricosa(there hundreds of N. ventricosa seedlings currently in various members collections due to a member crossing two of his ventricosa clones last year)

hybrids do happen in the wild. i have two naturally occuring hybrids:
    N. jaquelineae x izumiae(may not actually be in the wild but it is from wild collected seed)
    bicalcarata x ampullaria

there are several more naturally occuring hybrids but they are far outnumbered by the man made ones. as far as places to buy, out gracious host has neps and for anything he doesnt have i highly recommend Par O Bek Orchids which is owned by a member here. his prices are sometimes higher than other places but once you purchase a Nep from him you will be purchasing more. he has high quality plants and one heck of a selection
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off it looks like a Ventrate which is a ross of alata and ventricosa, the plant looks nice and healthy to me, and Ventrata is one of the easiest to grow, High humidity promote pitcher growth but your plant seems fine
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12