What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can i recognize upper pitchers?

Hello everybody! I am trying to find info that can help me to recognize when an upper pitcher from a lower. But i have not found much info.

I know that upper pitchers have s loop on their tendril, but i have seen in othe post that some upper pitchers do not have those loops. So, can anybody tell me, or give me some hints so i can know when my plants have started to produce upper pitchers? Are there more characteristics that i can look for?
confused.gif

Thanks...

I think it varies a lot from species to species, but one thing I see all the time is that upper pitchers always face away from the tendril, while lowers face in or are turned to one side or the other. Also, some species have very distinct uppers, like N. lowii, which are unmistakably different from the lowers. You might want to try BobZ's CP photo finder to look for pictures of the upper pitchers of your plants.
Best luck,
~Joe

Plus, several species don't produce wings on upper pitchers.
Volker

Back