What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some outstanding colorful hybrids?

im looking for some outstanding showy hybrids, or just plain interesting to look at ones. the N. jacquelineae x izumiae i have is quite interesting and the N. eymae x vietchii that i just got looks really cool if alot like my N. vietchii(im told the uppers will be really cool). i like the large, flairing peristromes that have lots of color. the various vietchii and maxima crosses floating around are sure showy. anyone have pictures of their awesome hybrids?

Noteworthy ones are
N. x dyeriana
N. x Mixta
N. x Tiveyi
N. x Trusmadiensis
N. x Kinabalensis
N. veitchii x lowii
All spectabilis crosses
All veitchii crosses
All maxima and northiana crosses.

Pretty rough, but generic list.

N. x Trusmadiensis and N. vietchii x lowii are two i would love o get my hands on.

Nice list, Dustin. Might I add N. mastersiana.
Also, maxima-vietchii-northiana are three species that combine well. There's fantastic color variation in Geoff Mansell's hybrids using Tiveyi, Mixta, (northiana x veitchii) recombined in different crosses with the root species.
Also, using a nice large, deeply colored N. thorelii will pass on the rich color, as well as other desirable characteristics.

Good stuff above. I also love my aristo hybrids, and the thorelli x aristo is one of my fastest growing plants, with pitchers that have lasted over a year for me.

I also love the clone of maxima x ventricosa I have. Common but really nice.

I hope to have N. x Mastersiana cuttings to distribute within a year, too.

Capslock.

OH gosh.. so many to choose from! Great recommendations.

I am a big N. spectablilis fan and it's use in hybrids. One of those that gets the best from both sides. N. spectabilis x veitchii. Another beauty that just combines the best of both. N. ventricosa x lowii

Another that is just super.. N. spectabilis x talangensis
how about N. spectabilis x ventricosa? Or N. maxima x talangensis?? or N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana??? AHHHH I can't decide!

You would be surprised though what you can get with some combinations. Another I like that really isn't all that esoteric ..
N. (khasiana x Mixta) clone A
NkhasianaXMixtaA_EPCR.jpg

The problem however is getting some of these things. Many are by cutting only unless it is something from TC or seed that is still floating around.

Tony

Even maxima x fusca gives interesting results

398maxusca_front.JPG
398maxusca_back.JPG
398maxusca_inside.JPG

I like truncata x ventricosa. It's super hardy, fast growing, and puts out huge pitchers. N. ventricosa x lowii is really nice, as Tony said. Of the nearly unobtainable or impossible to obtain (besides the ones already mentioned), rajah x burbidgea and stenophylla x rajah are spectacular.

X Preditor comes to mind...

The things that we will soon see in the near future is primary power crosses. WE've already been experiencing these already (parents such as stenophylla x lowii, northiana x veitchii, spectabilis x northiana, etc. when crossed to even bland species have turned into super hybrids.). Some exciting examples of future super primaries will include anything with any one of these primaries in it:
N. lowii x ventricosa red
N. Trusmardiensis (lowii x macrophylla)
N. lowii x veitchii
N. eymae x spectabilis
N. eymae x veitchii
N. spectabilis x ventricosa dark red
N. bellii x spectabilis
N. bellii x Trusmardiensis
N. truncata x hamata
N. Rokko (thorelii x maxima)
and so forth.

Just to cross these even with a common ventricosa would create a super plant with not only vigor but with the potential of being a very sought after clone.
Exotica Plants will still be the leader in producing these super hybrids, although the Japanese are also following suit with some work in the US.

MM

Lowii hybrids are very nice like.. N.veitchii x lowii or N.lowii x truncata is another great Nepenthes.

i agree with drew
lowii hybrids always look good

I have seen N. X mastersiana only once. D'Amato has it in his establishment, and holds it as his treasure. Pete told me that cuttings are difficult off of N. X mastersiana, but I have no experience of my own to speak from. Capslock, hope you can root these babies!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ June 18 2005,8:31)]I have seen N. X mastersiana only once. D'Amato has it in his establishment, and holds it as his treasure. Pete told me that cuttings are difficult off of N. X mastersiana, but I have no experience of my own to speak from. Capslock, hope you can root these babies!!!!
Bruce Lee Bednar told me the difficulty in rooting lies with it's N. khasiana parentage..The N. sanguinea parentage makes it grow great once you get it going.

Cheers,

Joe

I have to vote for either trunata x ventricosa (size is impressive, and wild candy striped peristome) or spectabalis x spathulata which has really GREAT coloration.

I just LOVE my:

N. northiana x veitchi - talk about a candy striped peristome!!
N. burbidegea x edwardsiana
N. (spath x spect) x ( max x fusca) pictured below

20050514-CP-N.(maxima%20x%20fusca)x(spatulata%20x%20spectabilis)-pitcher.jpg

Will try to get a picture or two of the other two up here soon.

Hi Wildbill
That is very nice
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

I rather like the (tobica x ovata) x veitchii I picked up recently and pics of mature plants are stunning.

I am also suprised no one has mentioned spathulata or any hybrids with it. The almost metallic purple peristome is beautiful.

We've got spathulata x truncata, and it has that purple metallic looking peristome. It's very hard to capture with a camera.

Back