What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i repot?

My n. miranda just had a pitcher open, and is about to make a new one. The node on the end of a new leaf is swollen, so I can tell in about a month there'll be a new pitcher. I got my plant about a year ago, potted it hastily, and forgot about it, since it wasn't doing anything. Now, it's doing really well, but the potting job is awful. The substrate is way too compact, and remains moist too long. Would I do a lot of damage to my plant by repotting it? It seems to be thriving, but I really want to put more of the plant under the substrate. Any help would be appreciated.

if it ain't broke...

go ahead if the media is decomposing. otherwise leave it alone i say.

"put more of the plant under the substrate." what does that mean?

You can repot Neps without worry about killing the plant, but keep in mind that most Neps react poorly to changes in conditions, so they may stop pitchering or growing for a few months after repotting. JLAP makes a good point that if it's growing well, then it probably doesn't absolutely need repotting. If you feel truly compelled to repot and have room, give it a bigger pot so you won't need to bother with it for a few years. Don't bury it any more than it is already - Nepenthes are vines and they don't need to be held upright by their roots/stalks; most will climb readily with their tendrils if you give them an arbor. Why is it that you want to submerge it more than it is already? If it's too tall, you can always cut off the growing tip, and your plant will put out new shoots from the sides and/or roots in response.
Best luck,
~Joe

The reason I wanted to plant it deeper is because the base is all brown and gross looking. There are some brown leaf remnants that I trimmed off, and I wanted to plant it to where it was green. Thanks for the help guys.

just whack off the top and replant and new buds will form on the vine and the base.

i kind of like the brown stem. reminds me of a palm tree
biggrin.gif

Back