What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginner nepenthes

I must be nuts, but since I got so carried away on the recent auction and ended up purchasing several other kinds of CPs, I figured I may as well go all the way and try nepenthes.

I know nothing about them, but they seem intimidating. Would someone please suggest some species that are appropriate for a "nepenthes virgin?"

Thanks!

I think Nepenthes khasiana and N. ventricosa are pretty much made of steel. Other than that, you might try N, rafflesiana, N. alata, N. truncata and/or N. sanguinea. There are alot of hybrids that are also very vigorous.

Joel

Joel, thanks!

Are these easy to obtain? Can you recommend places to find them? If that is not allowed on these boards, perhaps you can PM me.

John

I have a N. x edinesis and that was my first nep and it's pretty good for a beginner and grows pretty fast.

Hey there Hortman. Joel's got the right idea for species, but if you want something really bombproof, a hybrid is usually a little more vigorous than your average purebred species. Thus, hybrids of the species mentioned above are especially durable. N. x ventrata, a hybrid of alata and ventricosa, is a particularly ubiquitous plant. Very easy to obtain and raise, with attractive, sizable red pitchers. I believe that petflytrap.com here sells them, as well as some other good starter species. You can also look to Barry Rice's CP FAQ for a list of recommended vendors, most of whom carry Neps. There's also a good primer on Neps in the 'FAQ Library' on Barry's site. Two other good Nep-culture resources are Nepenthes Around the House and Nepenthes for Everyone.
When choosing your plant, keep in mind that Nepenthes have different requirements depending on their natural range. They're generally partitioned into two groups, the lowlanders and the highlanders, based on the elevation that they're commonly found at. Lowlanders like it brighter and require fairly constant temperatures and humidity throughout the day and night to succeed. Highlanders tolerate less light and enjoy a temperature drop and humidity spike at night, making them preferable for most beginners (unless you live in a climate akin to those of lowland Neps.) Unless you want to buy a terrarium setup, I think you'll find highlanders much more rewarding. Some plants are occasionally referred to as a third group, the intermediates, and these can often succeed in both highland and lowland conditions.
Don't be intimidated! Neps are too much fun to miss out on. There are some difficult species out there, but if you do a little reading before you buy, you'll be able to select an easy one. The fact that you're even asking attests to your competence. :) Even if you treat Neps horribly, many will endure. They might not produce pitchers or grow very fast in poor conditions, but if you even vaugely follow the instructions out there, your plant should stay alive.
Good luck, and have fun!
~Joe

Nepenthes 'ventrata' (Nepenthes ventricosa x alata)

I agree with Joe, don't be afraid of Nepenthes, they're nowhere near as hard as they look. Keep to some simple parameters, and they thrive. I find them easier than Sarracenia myself. I've had a couple of plants I really didn't want, so they went through some pretty bad intentional neglect, and survived. Although many hybrids are very easy, there are quite a few species that are just as easy - I find hybrid vigour is not always the huge advantage it's given credit for, and some hybrids I've found more touchy than either parent. Depending on your climate, try the easier ones (for cooler climates, ventricosa, sanguinea, ramispina, truncata, bongso and petiolata are all very forgiving, for tropical climates, many lowland species are easy).

Hamish

being that your in Maine i would assume highlanders woud be easiest for you to deal with. N. ventrata is very easy but IMHO not very showy(i do have one though and i even paid for it). it grows fast and will give you lots of pitchers. personally i like the really showy species, the larger and more colorful the peristrome the beter. for me highland N. veitchii and N. bongso have proven to be very hardy and adaptable. i just recieved a N. veitchii x eymae that is quite cool and sorta different. various hybrids with maxima, truncata, veitchii and lowii will generally have spectacular pitchers and be quite adaptable. let us know what your conditions and tastes are and we can narrow down things a bit

Sheridan,

I will be growing my plants inside and as of yet, I don't have any special set-up. I'm guessing that because of the number of CPs I'm amassing, I will need to devise some kind of lighting source before winter sets in. Can highland Neps be grown outside in summer?

As far as taste...the stranger, the more interesting - the better...keeping in mind that these will be my first Neps, and I'm just learning about them. One of this forum's members just let me know he is sending me a N. alata - it will be my first.

Thanks for the info!

khasiana = bulletproof
ventricosa = next in line
alata, maxima, sanguinea, fusca, and a few others i'm too lazy to name comein next.

not sure if you can grow them outside in your area(im on the othe rside of the US). you may want to shoot a pm on that subject to Tony Parobek. he grows his stuff in a greenhouse but he is in New York state somewheres and has lots and lots of experiance with Neps and should be able to answer that particular question since he is in your general vicinity and is far more familiar with your weather than i am. there are several othe Nep nuts in New England but i cant think off hand who they are. if the N. alata does good for you than i suggest N. bongso as your second step. it will be a really nice contrast to the N. alata, and its quite hardy and adaptable. N. spathulata is another good one. after that pic a nep you really want that looks like it will survive in your conditions and your set.

here is my N. bongso,
427bongso.jpg

Well, well Hortman...sticking a toe into the neps are you?
smile.gif
Good! They are cool plants. I have a truncata that is virtually ignored and its throwing a new pitcher that I think will hit 12". Gotta get a photo of that.

You'll enjoy the neps. I do believe you are well on your way to CP addiction. lol Happens to the best of us...
smile_l_32.gif

Ventricosas are easy...rafflesiana...tobiaca. I keep a ventricosa and a raff in my office but the raff isn't all that happy. The ventricosa has 2 basal shoots and lots of pitchers but the raff is slow. Probably too cool for it here.

BTW...maybe I'm hallucinating but I thought I read somewhere that N. bongso was the "old" name for what is now called N. ramispina? I just recently got a ramispina and its got two of the cutest little black pitchers and a new one on the way. I love the lil' bugger...its growing pretty fast.

i do believe they are still two seperate species. if you have literature that says different i would love to see it.

Well, Hortman, You've got Pokemon Syndrome: "Gotta Catch 'em All".

I have N. coccinea and N. miranda (both hybrids) growing and ptchering in normal AC indoor conditions. They are very easy to grow.

I think PetFlyTrap only minds pointing out other CP sites to buy from if you could buy what you want at PFT.

PFT offers N. ventrata, N. rafflesiana, and N. ventricosa.

http://exoticgardens.zoovy.com/category/!pftcpnepenthes

All are easy to grow; I'd get these three from them.

Hey Rattler

I did some checking and my mistake...N. ramispina was previously called N. gracillima. N. bongso is considered (by some) synonomous with N. caranculata.

Sorry 'bout that.
smile.gif

Back