Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outside nepenthes database

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamish,

I agree that my plants aren't the size of other Neps grown in greenhouse conditions. The same holds true for my lowlanders indoors as houseplants. But for a lot of hobbyists that want to grow these plants, greenhouses and special lighting setups can be costly or unrealistic. Especially in my case. So I'm happy to wait a few extra years if that's what it takes to grow my plants out rather than just look at pictures of them in books. It seems that the hobby has dramatically expanded over the last 5 years or so. More plants are available and more people are experimenting with growing conditions.

What I'd be curious to see is how long a N. lowii for example in its native highland conditions would take to reach maturity as opposed to one grown in greenhouse condtions. The outdoor guys have the pests, weather, and other difficulties that greenhouse Neps might not experience. Would they grow at the same rate??

Glad you're still growin' a few outdoors for old time sakes!!

Thanks Hamish! Appreciate all of the positive feedback.

Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hello guys!

Michael: Thanks for your comments on my cell phone camera…;0) It is unusually too good to be part of a cell phone. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

So your lowlander adapt slower than the intermediate and highlanders. I have not put much attention to this, maybe I must. But what has surprised me is how fast my Judith Finn plants have adapted. All of them are pitchering like crazy, they started to pitcher like 2 week after their arrival, and now they are really big for a little time. I am very impressed with them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

As for the bicalcarata, I have the same situation here with mine. It takes a little rest and then produce a lot of pitchers, and then another little rest and so on.

But my lowii seems to like it here a lot! It has double its size in the months that it has been here, in the other hand I received a villosa together with my lowii and this one has not grown not a millimeter. I also have a muluensis x lowii that is growing like crazy.

So I think that Hawaii and PR are good places to grow Nepenthes easily. Thanks to Heavens! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Joel & Hamish: Have you found any info about the growing rate of lowii in their natural environment? This could be of a great help. I have heard so many times about the low growth that these plants have, that I am wondering if maybe my lowii it is not a true lowii. Mine is growing too fast that I am scared. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Cheers!
    Jorge Joel…
    Emilia’s Garden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Em,

I'm interested in finding out growth rates of wild Neps as opposed to their greenhouse grown siblings too. One of the problems is that you'd have to compare several plants of the same species to get a benchmark. For example, I have 2 jacquelineaes that I bought at the same time, same size, years ago. One is at least twice the size of the other. If that was my only jac, I'd say that outdoor growing is the way to go. But that wouldn't be exactly true. So I think you need to compare multiple plants and species to get an idea.

I can compare my whole collection together though. Plants like ramispina and sanguinea have gone into the vining stage in a few years, where similar sized plants of other species are still rosetted. Most people would agree that ramispina and sanguinea are easy, vigorous growers compared to lowii and macrophylla. So you can get an overall "picture" of plant growth rates. And yes, lowii is one of those slower guys that takes time to mature. You don't see too many 12" lowiis or large rooted cuttings available for a reason!

Maybe someone like Rob at Borneo or some other growers with access to "wild" plants could shed more light on this.

Joel
    Nepenthes Around the House

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a new forum especially for people who grow nepenthes outside.

Not much traffic yet, as it's just been estalished, but the content already there is very interesting, so head on over, all you outdoors growers!

http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recieved a two inch lowii that is now three inches in 3 months. The pitchers seem a lot bigger now that they are outside also (by tht I mean I can reconize them as being pitchers).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I just wanted to remark that I have heard many times that seed grown plants (Neps) will grow much faster then TCed plants.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12