Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes soil recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things which I am really big on are the coconut husk chips. They act as little sponges. Nepenthes roots can grow into and through them. They are incredibly slow to decay! I have unpotted plants from the first time I started using them several years ago and they are slightly darker but still fully intact! Just be sure to buy quality chips and soak well just incase there is any salt in the husk.

I have also been playing around with coconut coir in place of peat moss to give my mix a little more 'soil' feel and take up some of the space between the perlite, husk chips, lfs. It is not quite as fine as peatmoss so has better drainage and should be very resistant to decay as well.

Maybe I will look into the cypress mulch at Lowes. Only problem is they would only have it a few months of the year up here. So I would need to stockpile it or do without if I ran out in the middle of the Winter. The word CHEAP does have appeal though! I am always looking for new things that will give the results I want at the best price hehe.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony,
    Neglected to mention the chips. Love 'em for the small plants, but they can hold too much water for plants in large pots if used straight up. Even the pre-washed, ultra clean coconut chips still need several rinses before use on Neps.
    Check out the Corbit mulch. Three bucks for two cubic feet definitely brings down the potting overhead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to repot a couple of nepthes soon and am planning on 40% spag, 25% peat, 25% silica sand and 10% cypress mulch. Does that sound like a good mix?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan,
    Save the sand for your Drosera and Sarracenia. Increase the cypress mulch (again, be careful!! Not all brands are created equal. Most use scrap pressure treated lumber mixed with the cypress and is poisonous), and you should be fine.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm relatively new and inexperienced with Neps, but I get the strong impression that they require an airy mix. So I try to emulate those with the experience. I am currently using a mix of peat, sand, LFS, and on top - dead pine needles, as per recommendation from Maehem. They are growing and pitchering, so I don't argue with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't argue with success, or as the old adage sez: Don't fix it unless it's broke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now that my Neps are in a bog the mix varies to each plant with waht it was originally potted in but is fairly consistent throughout:
    1% Volcanic rock
    5% vermiculite
    30% sand
    20% sphagnum peat moss
    4% live LFS
    40% LFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and there may be some perlite and treefern bark as well as verious leaves

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast