Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes soil recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious what people are using in their mixes. Please share your recipe or just tell us what secret ingredient you are using with some results success, no difference, or some difference.

For example I use black volcanic cinders, pumice, and red volcanic cinders in some of my mixes. I also use the dust from tree fern fibers (hapu'u) on my rarer seedlings like N. hamata with excellent root growth through this media.

Share any thoughts on this?

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50% peat 50%perlite

100% love

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use peat, coconut fiber and sphagnum moss. And sometimes a little bit of rocks.

But most of mine are still in the pots I bought from you, so whatevers in there.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experiment with alot of different "things" in my soil recipes. I'll list what I can think of but these are not all together just what I've tried.

Coco fiber
    Coco chunk
    ground Coco
    Groton
    red/black lava rock
    Pumice
    gravel
    sand
    leaf mold - (Ficus, Hibiscus, Dracaenea, Oak, Maple, Cordyline, Ferns, Epiphyllum, ...etc...)
    Compost - (Hibiscus bloom, Day lily bloom, banana, orange, Fig, Cork bark, oak bark.....etc...)
    Bacteria
    Fungi
    Protozoa
    Nematode
    LFS
    Peat
    Top soil
    River Dredge
    Cork bark
    Caudex (Beaucarena recurvata)
    Worm castings
    Aliflor
    Laterite
    Gauno
    Sponge
    Foam
    Clay
    Lime
    Sulphur

I can't think of any more right now

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60%spaghnum10%peat 30%Perlit
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried (or heard of) New Zealand Fir Bark?

tried it?

M
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael
    never heard of the NZ fir bark,ijust use pure LFS for 90% of my plants but a few have pine chips in it and oakleaf mould is added sometimes for a more richer mix.
    Bye for now Julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone,
    One of our new additions to our Nep mix is Corbitt brand NO FLOAT Cypress Mulch which you can find at Lowes for around three dollars. I would not use any other type of Cypress Mulch because it may be a blend of other woods, some of which might be pressure treated and poisonous to Neps.
    Compared to orchid bark or fir bark, it is so much less expensive. Another problem with fir bark is the rate of break-down or decomposition. Anyone who has grown Neps for several years knows how this can be a problem - also true for LFS.
    For those of you who experiment with new additions to your mix should be warned that, while at first the plant may seem to benefit, once the mix starts to decompose the chemical and ph properties may change - yealding negative results in the end.
    The Corbitt NO FLOAT Cypress mulch (blue and gold package) is clean, environmentally harvested, very inexpensive, and the Neps love it! We've used it for a while now with great results.
    Our other mix ingredients are: Lambert brand Canadian sphagnum peat moss mixed with Aliflor, fine grade pumice, sponge rock (puffed perlite) and dried long fiber sphagnum moss. Neps are not that picky about the mix, as long as it is acidic and has good drainage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast