What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland jewels

Trent,
Glad to see N. sp. viking grows well for you. The ones I have here flower for me short, Less than 2' in plant height. These should be good for breeding like N. ventracosa. Alot of variety in the plant. I could find dozens of variations at the market and for what 50 baht a plant! [ a little over $1.00!]. With limits on US importing via carry on I'll have to make multiple trips.
Truly,
Tom

hehe It looks like Michelle dipped her hand into the same purple dye used to color up that N. thorelii. Stunning pics as always guys, thanks for sharing. Oh to be able to grow lowlanders without grow chambers. *sigh*

Steve

Cool! I like that bical upper! About what height do they start to produce uppers? Mine (before I cut it) was about 4 feet tall. Now I'm trying to root the top, and hopefully just grow some uppers on that. bical is such a big plant, I just don't have that kinda room. So at 8' I bet yours is probably right against the top of your greenhouse? Must be an awesome sight.
More great pics. I really like that N. thorelii x (spectabilis x northiana) seedling #1.
Thanks for sharing,
Robin
smile.gif

Beautiful plants!
biggrin.gif
I just wish I were back home so I could take pictures of mine.
smile_h_32.gif

Wow
The peristome,s on the truncata,s are lovely and yes that Distillatoria is a monster.
Bye for now Julian

Trent, love your version of thorelii x (spect x north). I have one with a more mottled pitcher, more squat with a really cool striped peristome. I also like EP's N. truncata x (spect x north) with its awesome striped peristome that varies from green with candy cane stripes to almost a peachy orange with saltwater taffy red stripes over it. What I like about the truncata cross is its compact foliage, my thorelii cross of the same tend to have longer leaves.

Hey did you get one of EP's N. thorelii x sibuyanensis? Now talk about a squat fat-looking thorelii! I assume like all the other sibuyanensis crosses they will get huge in time!

M

I love the peristomes on the truncatas, Trent.:O

Hi All,

Yes Jess and Julian, we didn't know that N. distillatoria could get that big either.  It's getting into raff catagory...

Robin, our N. bical started to produce upper traps when the vine was about five feet tall.  Now, it's vine is not climbing straight upwards like a tree (but we've seen bicals grow like a tree too) but the weight of the pitchers pulled the vine down and it fell below pot level and continued to grow upward.  The vine has taken over the middle of an aisle in our greenhouse and now is as tall as eye level for me.  Since the vine is hanging down below the pot, it threw at least seven or eight ground shoots.

Michelle has been in the greenhouse taking a lot of pics and portraits.

N.%20thorelii%20d%20purple%207-3-05.JPG

This is N. thorelii d from EP.  Notice the prominent flared peristome, typical of all the seedlings from this grex.

Here are some pics of interesting hybrids.

N.%20trunc%20x%20spec%20xnorth%20seedling%20no.1%207-3-05.JPG

Michael, here is our favorite N. truncata x (spec x north). We have two other seedlings, one is green/yellow with stripes as you described, and the other has red/maroon leaves and magenta/purple pitchers.  Can't wait until these mature.

N.%20thor%20x%20Mixta%20x%20sumatrana%20seedling%20no.1%207-3-05.JPG

N.%20thor%20x%20Mixta%20x%20sumatrana%20seedling%20no.2%20fat%20pink%207-3-05.JPG

Here are two siblings of the hybrid of N. (thorelii x Mixta) x sumatrana.  Another wonderful and variable cross from EP.

N.%20veitchii%20and%20thor%20x%20raff%20xthor%20x%20veitchii%205-11-05.JPG

N.%20thor%20x%20raff%20x%20thor%20x%20veitch%20upper%20two%20traps%207-3-05.JPG

Here is one of our favorite crosses from EP.  It's N. [(thorelii x rafflesiana) x thorelii] x veitchii h/l.  On the left is the intermediate pitcher and on the right is a portrait of the uppers (one freshly opened).

Our friend Manny Herrera made this hybrid of N. thorelii x (mirabilis x khasiana).  This is the cultivar from the cross, it's going to be registered as N. 'Kristin Ammar' (who had a bikini the same color).    
N.%20'Kristin%20Ammar'%207-2-05.jpg

Have a great 4th!

Wow
Your plants have colours that are amazing never seen the like before.Keep the photos coming please
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

maybe a stupid question but what is EP??

EP = Exotica Plants
BE= Borneo Exotics
MT = Malesiana Tropicals
CE = Captive Exotics
CC = Charles Clarke
CL = Ch'ien Lee

Who did I forget?

BTW (=by the way), Trent, seems like we have the same crosses from EP. Its always hind sight when after you purchase a particular cross and as they grow, I wish i got more then. Oh well. Who knew that something with thorelii 2x's and rafflesiana AND veitchii could be so beautiful!

I got a few N. macfarlanei (both red and purple) crossed with sibuyanensis that is turning out just gorgeous and huge. Another cross that seems so simple is the cross between N. spectabilis x veitchii. Its one of my favorites!

Wait until I get my new camera, I'll show ya!

Have a Happy Fourth everyone!

M

Back