What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata lowland forms

Michael, that would be great. What are your night temps like at your place?

Night time temperatures now in Hawaii is about 75 degrees, if we're lucky we can get 72 degrees! Daytime around 80 degrees. Humidity always around 50% or more.

Its usually warm muggy just before a heavy downpour....I pray for hot muggy days!

Michael

Hi,

I was in contact with Andreas regarding the origin of this form when I ordered it a couple of years ago. Apparently he was given no additional info when the seed was sent to him.

The newest leaf has the nice red coloration, but turns normal green as it matures. Since I grow mine indoors I don't know if the color persists in better light. The plant is quite hairy. As I wrote my plant is still quite small, but I will try to get some more photos of it.

and yes Michael, we want to see that plant
smile.gif

Regards,

Christer

Christer,
Would you know what area the seed came from? Its probably the Philippines, but would you know which mountain/island?

I am trying to keep all my clones separated by mountain, island, etc. so as to develop and maintain some pedigree bloodline should ever a male or female arise from that region. As far as I am concerned, crossing two species N. truncata is like making hybrids if they are from different regions, etc.

One excellent example is N. copelandii. There are two forms that are sold and they are very very different from each other. Mt Apo form is smaller, more tubular and compact growing, while Mt. Pasia is more vigorous, has longer leaf blades, has really giant pitchers with a distinct swollen lower and grows faster than the Apo form. Crossing each of these together would not be in the best interest for maintaining species. Thus crossing a red leaf truncata with a striped peristome truncata would be a "hybrid" cross even though both are N. truncata.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I also believe location is very important, for the same reason that you state. That was why I queried Andreas about it, but as I wrote earlier he didn't know anything about it. As you have probably have seen this form is placed in the highland section in the Nepenthes Nursery's on-line shop, but since there is a questionmark behind the word highland the origin seems cloudy.

Anyway, here are some photos of the whole plant and a closer look at the hirsute leaf.

truncatareddish.jpg
truncataleaf.jpg

Regards,

Christer

Back