What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata lowland forms

I was just curious if there were more than the usual five that is in circulation (mostly from tc) around?
I have seen;

truncata orange peristome
truncata striped peristome
truncata red leaf
truncata common MT form
truncata giant

theres a german one called N. truncata "red leaf"

Also I havn't heard of the giant form aren't they all giant? lol DO you ahve pictures or a link to it?

We'll go with Jess on that: how big is a giant truncata?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I am also interested to know how many species of truncata there are sold on the Net.
Especially..Wistuba does sell Highland Truncata or Lowland truncata? My Truncata from Wistuba should be Highland but I continue not to be sure because some people told me that the highland form should be red stripped instead green with red peristome!
Bye

Mr_Aga

Well, there certainly are color variations in the clones of highland truncata. Mine has a striped peristome with a green pitcher body. I've seen the rare black form in person and a reddish-orange form as well.

Well...then we should have the same Nepenthes Species.
Mine is not an adult plant...but the peristome is beginning to take its shapes...
Check the pic!
Let me knoww!
Bye!
Mr_Aga
truncata2.jpg

Nice photo Mr. Aga what size pot is it in so we can gauge some size?

As for the giant form of the lowland truncata I bought it from a supplier here who said she got it from seed from a plant from the Philippines. I will try to post some pics when I get my new digital camera. The giant form is said to have pitchers that can hold about a liter and a half of fluid. Plus they are deep pitchers with small mouths (like the shot from Mr. Aga)and has been known to trap lizards, snakes and even mice. The leaves are the largest I've seen for a truncata somewhat like a philodendron plant! I just bought two plants because at the time she was selling them for $35 for two inch potted plants and someone else was selling larger ones in six inch pots for $15. Thus I didn't realize that there could be more than a single form of truncata. She has since moved away and I can not ask her for more information. I now wish I bought them all, oh well hind sight again!

Michael

Anyone else has any other forms of N. truncata lowland?

We have seed raised N. truncata (red peristome x striped peristome) that are like no other truncatas we've ever seen. Each one is unique, and has its own personality.

About the giant form, perhaps it is regional. Or- perhaps the seed bearer was just an adult plant (and the person who labeled it "giant" was unaware of the adult size of N. truncata). We have seen other species labeled "giant" - like ventricosa, and it turned out that it was just a well grown, mature plant - not a genetic trait. Too bad you can't ask more questions about the plant's origin.

mine has 12 inch pitchers so far. wide mouth and peristome and it's green with spotting on the inside with a heavily striped peristome. red lid.

The Pitcher in the foto on the top is 16 cm high.
I repeat,my truncata is a young one.
I have noticed that with 32 Celsius in the terrarium here in Milan with the great hot weather ,the truncata has slow down its grow.I am trying to let her catch more fresh air as possible!
Bye

Mr_Aga
Milan - Italy

Highland form of N. truncata is also a bit hirsute, I noticed, unless it is the image, that yours seems to be absent of any hair on the pitcher, lowland forms do have a bitof hait, but the highland is quite noticable, sort of like a veitchii, but not excessive!
smile.gif

Hi,

Since the N. truncata "reddish leaves" (Wistuba) was brought up, here is a quite recent photo of my plant. The pitcher is 16,5 cm on a 30 cm diameter plant.

atruncata.jpg

It looks more colourful than most lowland forms I have seen, so I'm leaning to that it has highland background.

Regards,

Christer

The Peristome looks nice
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

The photo of you red leaf truncata looks nice. I find it interesting that your pitcher is very long tubular. Mine is very squat for a truncata. I really like the red leaf form. Can anyone share any light from this clone (I believe comes to us from Wistuba)?

M

Hi again,

Actually the pitcher before this one was quite squat and almost looked N. veitchii-like.

Regards,

Christer

I've seen some very small plants of Christerb's and neglected to buy one....might have to change that around now that I've seen what a larger plant looks like!
smile.gif

The red leaf/Wistuba form is quite unique. Does anyone have any information about this form, like where is it from, how large it can get and if tyhey really are true lowlanders?

Mine grows slow and I treat it like a highland form. Although even the regular truncata has its moments in slow growth.

Strangely, mine doesn't have leaves that are red, but pitchers that are red/red striped.

Michael

I would go with Dustin's comment about the hair (degree of hairyness) as to a clue on highland or lowland. Anyone have a nice clear picture of an entire plant of Wistuba's red trunc?

ok but if I should buy one.. I cant see if its hirsute or not...

But tell me, does anyone have leaves on their plant that are 18 inches long and 12 inches wide? The pitchers measure about 15 inches, this plant is less than a year from a two inch pot.
I will post pics of this soon.

Michael

Back