Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nepenthes species

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel that they would be significant enough but as far as I know no living specimens of N. carunculata are in cultavation or perhaps were never documented.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great undertaking in naming all the known species. Now who has them all? or the highest count?
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put money on Jeff Shafer having the highest number. Some of the German (J.Marabini for one) and Dutch collectors would be on par as well, I'd say.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the list I would say that all the species listed are quite easily available except for about 8. Anyone can acquire practically all the species, just a case of money and space.

Growing them well on the other hand...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Dr Cheek at Kew, anamensis and smilesii are synonyms, and is not the same as mirabilis, which is a seperate species. I would beg to differ with you on kampotiana. Our plant has far more similarities to anamensis(same thing as real smilesii-not the horticultural variety of mirabilis), or Thai thorelii than to mirabilis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ June 27 2005,2:42)]Bob Z's site lists many var. of species which may or maynot be some species you denoted.
    As I mention in my Photo Finder index page, I have generally used the classification and synonyms found in the ICPS database. Taxonomists will always differ and argue about classification so long as species is determined by what the plant looks like (species A has 3 hairs; while Species B has 7 hairs). Perhaps when genetic analysis becomes more common, a more definitive classification system will evolve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12