What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Female n. khasiana in spike

Hello

I have a Female N. khasiana going into flower and was just wondering if any one has any interesting things in bloom?

Here is a photo of her I took a few months back.
N.%20khasiana%20084.jpg

I also have males of the flowing flower that should be ready at the same time.

N. x thorelii x aristolochioides
N. x maxima x fusca “elongata”
N. x spathulata x maxima

And my N. x rokko x (thorelli x Coccinea) is going into flower for the first time the flower is still two leave back but I'm guessing it is a female.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Definately cross it with the thorelii x aristolochioides!
This will be a winner found only at Exotica Plants, AU

The thorelii will produce more of its red-pink speckling and khasiana should increase size and hardiness level for that cross.

I would also say cross that khasiana female with a male N. Miranda. Even though many feel Miranda is a mixed breed with no true parentage, nonetheless, it should produce some fine offspring! perhaps a more compact Miranda type with the larger tubular pitchering of khasiana.

Just do it!

michael

while i havent seen lowers the uppers of N. khasiana x (x Mixta) were quite boring. if you have other interesting pollen availible i would save the Miranda pollen for last

Nonetheless, a cross of khasiana by Miranda would create super vigorous offspring. Many people feel Miranda to be boring or dull, but I have talked to others who has used it and feel it would contribute to a plant with nice size pitchers, good coloring and fast growing. You don't have to use all the flowers, just a couple, tag them and see what happens. Besides even if you did pollinate all the flowers with the same pollen parent, you'll have more seed than you could ever grow!
So try a little of everything and see what worked best.

Michael

Does anyone here know about any hybrids with N. 'Miranda'? We have crossed him onto a few girls and had little or no germination, and no surviving plants. It may be the chromosome count or just steriltiy. Any thoughts?

Jeremiah, when the N. x rokko x (thorelli x Coccinea) is in flower, let us know if it's a female -as you suspect. That's a cute little plant.

We have a rafflesiana 'Kondo' x veitchii lowland coming into flower - sex is unknown at this point.

I have truncata pollen and N. x Gentle pollen

May be pm-ing you Dustin. Our other mature raff 'Kondo' x veitchii is a male. Maybe we'll be lucky and this one is female, but the odds are against it
smile_h_32.gif

I believe someone has seed/seedlings of N. Rokko x Miranda, this one sounds like a winner if you ask me!
But I think a thorelii x Miranda should be awesome, like a remake of a giant Rokko!

Michael

Hi Jeremiah,

I'd have to agree, a hybrid with the thorelli x aristolocioides would be interesting.

That's great you have a flowering female. I am going through a dilemma with the plant I own.
Are there any fine hairs on the blades of the leaves. Furthermore, What is the length of the leaves and width. Does the leaf have and alternate termination to the tendril. Is that a photo of an upper or lower pitcher?

Here is a photo. Maybe you can help.

N_khasiana_1.jpg

thanks,
C

Regarding your N. khasiana, if its a female, then chances are that it is the real McCoy! (just kidding, but seriously, I don't know anyone who has a male N. khasiana, do you?)

I just planted seed of N. ventricosa x Miranda, and [(spathulata x spectabilis) x Miranda]. Gee I have about three kinds of Miranda in bloom now, and no females for crossing!

Michael

Michael,
Yes, there are male khasiana.  We may even have one... we just got some seed raised plants from Clyde Bramblett, who has a male and female.  Recently the male may have perished (if cuttings aren't around somewhere), but he has had it for years and produced many khasiana seedlings (of which some may be male).  I think the reason that there are a ton of female khasiana around is because they are most probably the same plant.

Jeremiah,
What's going on with your blooming plants now?

Hello,

They are doing very well. The khasiana is just starting to open but the only male that is open right now is the N. x maxima x fusca “elongata” so I will pollinate the first 6 to 10 flower with it and hopefully some of the other males will be open by then.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Back