What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victorian hybrids

Does anyone know which Victorian Hybrids still exist as the origonal plant (propogated as cuttings) as opposed to being recreated crosses and given the Victorian names. For example, does the origonal Tiveyi still exist, or all all the plants out there now more recent crosses? For that matter were the Victorian hybrids one plant or groups of similar crosses? I realize that probably the real answer to this is not fully known, but I would imagine that some examples of the old plants still exist.

Thanks

There are quite a few of the old Victorian hybrids around. In some cases, there are several different clones (N. coccinea-the original, not the Deroose remake), in others, only one (N. dyeriana). Unfortunately, some of them have become somewhat rare or extinct. I believe the original N. tiveyi is still around, but a bit hard to find. The original N. dicksoniana (raff x veitchii), one of the parents of dyeriana, appears to be extinct. The nomenclature from those days was based on how the originating nursery named their plants. Some are grex groups, others are selected clones from grexes.
Anyone seen the female clone of N. mixta 'sanguinea'?

Yes, they still exist and are propagated by cuttings which trace back to the original plant. They are sometimes available albeit rarely. California carnivores is selling cuttings of N. x Dyeriana by request now for $100-$150. Not all victorian hybrids are that expensive, N. x Dyeriana is just a particularely nice one.

Let us not forget the great original N. x mixta, as well as N. x ile de france. Its cousin, vile de rouon (spelling?) still exists too I think.

Ile de France and Ville de Rouen are certainly classics, but came a little later than the Victorian hybrids. Some nice "vanishing classics" would be the George Pring hybrids made at Missouri Botanical Gardens in the late 1940's. Only N. 'Lt. R. B. Pring' appears to have survived, and it is extremely rare. There were some N. 'St. Louis' around, but I haven't seen it in a long time. Perhaps there's some of these hidden away at Longwood Gardens.

I was told that many of the Victorian hybrids are in the hands of Japanese collectors who purchased many before the war, whether they are being circulated as such, is an entirely different story.

As for the Tiveyi sanguinea, I believe its stilla round, but maybe under a different name as I've seen some name changes of plants of things I knew as one name and written up as something else entirely (see many websites for examples).

Michael

Hi,

I know of someone growing a cutting form an 'original' Victorian N x Tiveyi'

Good news about the Tiveyi.
I know there is or was a female Mixta in Japan used to make many of the Japanese hybrids. N. mixta was a grex group and there were at least three recognised cultivars, N. mixta 'Superba', N. mixta 'Sanderiana', and N. mixta 'Sanguinea'. Supposedly, the 'Sanguinea' clone is female, and was used to make the hybrid N. 'Ile de France'. That was in the 1970's, so it may no longer exist. Have any of our European Nepenthephiles seen it in botanical gardens?

I have a Mixta x Maxima which is a wicked grower ,the pitchers have a red and yellowish striped peristome ,but it does go fairly red with lots of light.
Bye for now Julian

Julian,
What is interesting is you called your plant (mixta x maxima). This would imply that a female mixta was used. (seedbearer is always listed first when labeling a hybrid). The Japanese hybrid N. oiso supposedly used female Mixta, and is published as (Mixta x maxima). N. 'Miranda' appears to be the reciprocal, (maxima x Mixta).

Hi Trent
I believe the female was a Mixta and that the pollen was from a maxima but as to what the exact parentage is is anyones guess.
Bye for now Julian

Old threads never die, they just wait for someone looking for the info. I'll say Dyeriana is exceptional looking.
P1010595.jpg

How about some pics of the other Victorian hybrids that are still around?

That's a real beauty...the one on the right, that is.
smile_m_32.gif

Seriously, very nice plant, Steve.
KPG

Hi,

I know of one UK grower who has a large N.x tiveyi growing from a cutting of one of the original Victorian crosses (obtained from Kew many years ago). Several cutting are coming through now and soon there will be two UK growers.

Threeskins:
Very interesting. Would it be possible to post a picture of the original tiveyi so we can see what it looks like and how it compares to the modern remakes?

Hi Bob,

Yes I can get a pic of this plant to you. Not sure how to add it to this forum. Can I send you pic on a private PM maybe you could add it here?

Cheers

As promised, here is the picture kindly provided by threeskins of what is apparently the "real" x tiveyi. This should answer the question with which I started this thread last year about whether the original x tiveyi still exists.

tiveyi.jpg

Back