Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Victorian hybrids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know which Victorian Hybrids still exist as the origonal plant (propogated as cuttings) as opposed to being recreated crosses and given the Victorian names. For example, does the origonal Tiveyi still exist, or all all the plants out there now more recent crosses? For that matter were the Victorian hybrids one plant or groups of similar crosses? I realize that probably the real answer to this is not fully known, but I would imagine that some examples of the old plants still exist.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few of the old Victorian hybrids around. In some cases, there are several different clones (N. coccinea-the original, not the Deroose remake), in others, only one (N. dyeriana). Unfortunately, some of them have become somewhat rare or extinct. I believe the original N. tiveyi is still around, but a bit hard to find. The original N. dicksoniana (raff x veitchii), one of the parents of dyeriana, appears to be extinct. The nomenclature from those days was based on how the originating nursery named their plants. Some are grex groups, others are selected clones from grexes.
    Anyone seen the female clone of N. mixta 'sanguinea'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they still exist and are propagated by cuttings which trace back to the original plant. They are sometimes available albeit rarely. California carnivores is selling cuttings of N. x Dyeriana by request now for $100-$150. Not all victorian hybrids are that expensive, N. x Dyeriana is just a particularely nice one.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us not forget the great original N. x mixta, as well as N. x ile de france. Its cousin, vile de rouon (spelling?) still exists too I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ile de France and Ville de Rouen are certainly classics, but came a little later than the Victorian hybrids. Some nice "vanishing classics" would be the George Pring hybrids made at Missouri Botanical Gardens in the late 1940's. Only N. 'Lt. R. B. Pring' appears to have survived, and it is extremely rare. There were some N. 'St. Louis' around, but I haven't seen it in a long time. Perhaps there's some of these hidden away at Longwood Gardens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told that many of the Victorian hybrids are in the hands of Japanese collectors who purchased many before the war, whether they are being circulated as such, is an entirely different story.

As for the Tiveyi sanguinea, I believe its stilla round, but maybe under a different name as I've seen some name changes of plants of things I knew as one name and written up as something else entirely (see many websites for examples).

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I know of someone growing a cutting form an 'original' Victorian N x Tiveyi'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news about the Tiveyi.
    I know there is or was a female Mixta in Japan used to make many of the Japanese hybrids. N. mixta was a grex group and there were at least three recognised cultivars, N. mixta 'Superba', N. mixta 'Sanderiana', and N. mixta 'Sanguinea'. Supposedly, the 'Sanguinea' clone is female, and was used to make the hybrid N. 'Ile de France'. That was in the 1970's, so it may no longer exist. Have any of our European Nepenthephiles seen it in botanical gardens?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast