User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Growing in pure lfs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have all my Nepenthes in pure LFS with some orchid bark in the mix. Is that mix suitable for Nepenthes or should I add some peat moss? Some of my plants have a more yellowish hue to their leaves and I was wondering if it was some kind of nutrient problem. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Nick
    It's like walking out a door and discovering it's a window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plan on fertilizing your plants, NZ LFS will break down rapidly. I like LFS for getting newly acquired plants established rapidly, keeping soil moist, with a good pH. I use enought to produce a good root ball for a 4-5 inch pot. I sometimes supplement the LFS with Red Wood Soil Conditioner (RWSC) as well as small/fine orchid bark. As the LFS breaks down, the other components keep the media loose and airy. But due to the area I grow my plants, I need to keep them really wet as they dry out too fast for comfort. So I tend to overpot and use a lot of coco bark in the small to medium grade. I add fir bark, RWSC, sometimes coarse peatmoss and if in deep pots I use either coral chips or red or black cinders.

Best wishes in your choice of soil media.

M
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think that the yellow leaves have anything to do with nutrķent problem..its sound more to me as its lack of light..
    I grow my neps in live spahnum moss and perlit(70/30)
    And they are growing like mad..
    Need all the experience I can get...