Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first nep!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've figure the perfect neps for me right now can grow outside in the summer and on a windowsill in the winter. I don't have a nep chamber yet so those two places are the best ones I've got. I do have a flurescent light but I don't trust where it is. It was the site of a mass feeding of gnats. R.I.P. old collection. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] Plus I have covered byblis seeds in there now. I guess I could risk putting it in there when I repot it in a rockier, drier mix. Which brings me to my next question.

It has been raining A LOT in the past 24 hours and it looks like there's going to be a lot more in the next few days and no matter where I put my my sanguinea it gets rained on! I tried to sort of ring out a little bit of the LFS because I'm sooo paranoid of it getting root rot. I'm hoping it dries out quickly so I can put my worries for rest and save them until the next time there's a downpour. x.x

N. Miranda, I've heard that name a lot. *goes to look on Cook's* Ah well I didn't find it, maybe it's not listed as N. "Miranda". What are the parents? There's no way I'm going through his "Nep hybrids out-of-stock" list on dial-up. x.x I looked into ventricosa and there are tons of them on Cook's. I just wanted to go with a less cliche choice. I hear lots of people start off with either a ventrata or ventricosa so I wanted to be a little different. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Thanks for the tips.
    ~Kyle~
    Growlist
    I'm back?

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you really need to stop worrying about your n sanguinea.........i think youre being a bit silly now.

There is no need to take out its LFS to stop root rot, In their natural habitat Nepenthes prefer areas of the rainforest which are wetter and get more sun
    Dont forget, it does rain every day in a rainforest after all....
    I keep mine wet all the time and they dont rot
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I obviously don't know the boundaries yet because I've only had it for a week. I haven't made any mistakes to learn from with neps so I'm going pretty blind, even though I've read all of Savage Garden twice. Also, Carnivorkid's N. Sanguinea died from root rot so I really do have something to worry about. I don't appreciate being called silly. x.x Not today at least.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well just trust the grower, Cooks is a very experienced grower and Im su4re he would put it in a suitable medium where it wont die of root rot

Taking spaghnum off its roots will just disturb its root system and put its pitcher production on hold, in my experience Neps dont take kindly to transportation and any sort of root disturbance

Really, there is no need for all this fuss........put it on a sunny window and keep the soil moist with rainwater, all there is to it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chrono. I agree w/ Starman. Sphagnum is okay, just not for long term. Once your plant is established (ie., after a year or so), I'd put it into some real Nep soil. I currently grow three Neps in pure lfs just because I haven't had to repot them yet.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ July 08 2005,8:07)]Hey Chrono. I agree w/ Starman. Sphagnum is okay, just not for long term. Once your plant is established (ie., after a year or so), I'd put it into some real Nep soil. I currently grow three Neps in pure lfs just because I haven't had to repot them yet.

-D. Lybrand
    yeah but some people have their neps in spaghnum for years and years.....Treesmill Tropicals(One of the most famous Nep nurseries in Europe) have a lot of theirs in pure live spaghnum or in live spaghnum based mixes but like I said, I dont like reppoting my Neps unless its absolutely nessersarry, because whenever I repot it sets them back for a long time and they really dont take kindly to it
    Althought a better mix would be live spaghnum with a bit of perlite and medium grade orchid bark thrown in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dino is right in that the best thing to do for new nepenthes is to leave them alone to acclimate in their new surroundings as long as they are not in rotted media, which they probably aren't. They don't like being fussed with!

It's generally stagnant water that causes rot, too. So rain water running through your pots is unlikely to cause root rot even if it's nearly constant.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just worry too much and I don't have it on a sunny windowsill I have it outside, I've been planning to put it on a sunny windowsill during the winter ONLY. I guess I'll wait to repot it then. Anyone know what I should do about the basal shoot? It's getting smothered by the mother plants, though it still has pitchers it's like... bent to do side, think it'll be alright? I took some pictures today, I have to get them put on a disc and I'll post them.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast