What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trelis for non-pitchering climbing neps?

This idea came up in another topic in which N. gracilis failed to produce pitchers.  All terrarium conditions remained constant.  I've experienced the same thing with my N. gracilis.  

Someone mentioned that this climbing plant may need something to grab onto.  Does providing something to grasp onto stimulate pitcher growth?

interesting....i had the same problem with N. spectabilis...any suggestions as to the validity of the trelis?

Or grasp itself will induce pitchers. try motivating their tendril to grasp around an object as simple as a blade of grass. Its amazing what develops from even this mere object!

M

yes, I will definitely recommend trelis or sticks or fencing for them to climb on. small slender and light pitchers like N. gracilis do not actually NEED it, if conditions are right they do not need trelis to pitcher so I cannot explain that (but they would definitely appreciate something to climb on!)
But as for larger bulkier pitchers, for example that of N. rafflesiana, they appreciate something hard and proper to cling to, for these sort of pitchers, simple objects wont do and you must have at least 2 tall sticks which are relatively thick, preferably 1-2 cm diameter. the difference is very obvious
...but agian, depends on the plant.

In my nep bog all the plants are pitchering more now that they can grab on each other even with lower pitchers (which I know do not need to technically grab on anything but they seem to be doing better). Althoug it may jsut be the conditions.

I emailed Peter D'Amato over at California Carnivores to get his take on whether he's ever noticed better pitcher growth with the aid of sticks or trelis or if neps have ever stopped pitchering because of lack of something to grasp.. I'll post his response when I get it.

It has long been recognised that support will be beneficial to pitcher development. Lower pitchers that rest on something will grow bigger than ones that dangle in the air, and upper pitchers that coil around, or rest on, something will also be larger, or appear at all. I've noticed with many species in the climbing stage that they will be shy to pitcher unless the tendril finds something to wrap around.

Yes, in my experience upper pitchers are often not produced unless the climbing tendrils have something to grasp on to. Seeya. Peter

Peter D'Amato
California Carnivores

smile.gif
 If you have got extra chopsticks from chinese take-a-way...

gracilis_maroon_chopstick1_mod.jpg

ive noticed that to,if its got something to grasp then its ok but a lot of plants if theres nothing to grab hold of the pitcher is not going to form.
By the way Cindy thats a different use for chop sticks
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

I've also found that giving the upper tendrils something to grasp promotes pitchering.

A couple of months ago, my N.gracilis produced a strange-shaped upper pitcher--it looked like a perfect cone!

Now, the N.gracilis is producing a lovely flower spike at the tip of one of its vines. Looking forward to that!

So, yeah, give 'em something to hold onto.

I bought some small trelis and some of those green garden sticks and applied them to all of my climbing nepenthes. We'll see how it goes. thanks for the tips.

That's a good use for those chopsticks...I've tried countless times with those things...amazing how the fork hasn't caught on in certain parts of the world. The fork is really a no-brainer, why make things difficult? A Nep prop is just about the best use of those things that I've seen. Good work.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joey"TheVice"Carbonara @ July 06 2005,6:28)]That's a good use for those chopsticks...I've tried countless times with those things...amazing how the fork hasn't caught on in certain parts of the world. The fork is really a no-brainer, why make things difficult?
Because Confucius believed in and propagated the idea that using knives and other pointy objects at the dining table are barbarous.

Also, there's absolutely no better tool than chopsticks for eating noodles as well as fish prepared whole.

Bon Appetit!

Hans
Taipei

That's not what the folks from Ginsu promote in that they can use their knives to cut through a shoe...just in case someone wants to serve shoe I guess.

filet of sole

good one! yeah, i've seen those testimonial type things for knives and such. maybe you could use shoe-cutting knives for tendril support...

-D. Lybrand

Back