User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trelis for non-pitchering climbing neps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This idea came up in another topic in which N. gracilis failed to produce pitchers. All terrarium conditions remained constant. I've experienced the same thing with my N. gracilis.

Someone mentioned that this climbing plant may need something to grab onto. Does providing something to grasp onto stimulate pitcher growth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting....i had the same problem with N. spectabilis...any suggestions as to the validity of the trelis?
    \"You may know who we are but we know who you are.\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or grasp itself will induce pitchers. try motivating their tendril to grasp around an object as simple as a blade of grass. Its amazing what develops from even this mere object!

M
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great! I'll definately try that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, I will definitely recommend trelis or sticks or fencing for them to climb on. small slender and light pitchers like N. gracilis do not actually NEED it, if conditions are right they do not need trelis to pitcher so I cannot explain that (but they would definitely appreciate something to climb on!)
    But as for larger bulkier pitchers, for example that of N. rafflesiana, they appreciate something hard and proper to cling to, for these sort of pitchers, simple objects wont do and you must have at least 2 tall sticks which are relatively thick, preferably 1-2 cm diameter. the difference is very obvious
    ...but agian, depends on the plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my nep bog all the plants are pitchering more now that they can grab on each other even with lower pitchers (which I know do not need to technically grab on anything but they seem to be doing better). Althoug it may jsut be the conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I emailed Peter D'Amato over at California Carnivores to get his take on whether he's ever noticed better pitcher growth with the aid of sticks or trelis or if neps have ever stopped pitchering because of lack of something to grasp.. I'll post his response when I get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has long been recognised that support will be beneficial to pitcher development. Lower pitchers that rest on something will grow bigger than ones that dangle in the air, and upper pitchers that coil around, or rest on, something will also be larger, or appear at all. I've noticed with many species in the climbing stage that they will be shy to pitcher unless the tendril finds something to wrap around.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast