What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rokko hybrids

Its amazing how much N. Rokko (thorelii x maxima) has been used in recent years. Anyone wants to list/show a photo of their favorite?

I recently got a N. (Rokko x bicalcarata) x bicalcarata from the diameter of a small woody tree! The grower told me that this will rival the largest N. bical I have ever seen and almost resemble the bical with fangs and all!

Any other interesting Rokko hybrids you'd like to share?

M

I've got a Rokko x veitchii which is very nice. I have a picture of it on my website, although there's a new, much bigger pitcher being produced at the moment that should be quite a sight in a couple of weeks.

YES Indeed! Rokko x veitchii is a charming plant that is very valuable for breeding as it is showy!

Its already been used repeatedly for breeding as a producer of very nicely mottled, striped, and colorful pitchers to its offspring.

I also like N. rokko x spectabilis for the striped peristome and colorful leaves too!

Did EP make a Rokko x Trusmardiensis yet???

That would be awesome!

Michael

Clyde Bramblett and Bruce Bednar made the hybrid of N. rokko x Mixta and called the cross N. excellens.  Out of the grex, they chose two cultivars which are N. excellens 'Superba' and excellens 'Jessica Laureen'.  Of course, only orchids can have cross names, and Nepenthes horticultural hyrbids can not be in latin.  But they're out there, none the less.
We have N. rokko x (thorelii x Coccinea) which is really cute.
N.%20not%20sure%201-17-05.JPG

N. rokko x ventricosa - a hybrid made by our friend Manny Herrera, has produced a really fine cultivar.

N.%20rokko%20x%20ventricosa%208-21-04.JPG

N. rokko x (thorelii x Coccinea) is really nice.
Any chance of pictures of the N. (rokko x. bical) x. bical?

Nice to see that the fangs are still there while making a hybrid of Bical..

the teeth of bicals seem to be simple resessive, which means you have to cross the primary bical hybrid back with another bical before you get teeth. i have a bical x amp and it doesnt have any teeth at all, not even bumps

Perhaps N. Predator x hamata would be interesting!

anything with either of those would be fangtastic
biggrin.gif

sure it would. the teeth on hamata and others like it such as villosa linked to a different type of gene than bicals cause teeth show up in primary hybrids, though not as prominent as in the species

Here's one example of the regular N. x Rokko for comparison.

Upper:
N_x_Rokko4.sized.jpg

Lower:
N_x_Rokko7.sized.jpg

Capslock

Hey just saw rattler's post. Has anyone ever crossed a N. hamata hybrid back on N. hamata before?

Capslock

Rokko x spectabilis
Nepenthes_1_002.jpg

Another form of the hybrid
Nepenthes_1_001.jpg

I'll post some other Rokko hybrids later

M

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey just saw rattler's post. Has anyone ever crossed a N. hamata hybrid back on N. hamata before?

I was going to suggest (bical x hamata) x (bical x hamata)....Might get a seedling or two that exhibits BOTH tooth traits....now THAT would ROCK!

Michael,

It looks primarily like a bical. But what is very attractive to me is the Rokko cross in it for temperature and humidity. I believe Rokko can be grown as a highlander. Bicals detest outdoor conditions, but this guy may be able to take it. How has your plant reacted since you've had it? Does it appear to be more forgiving than a straight bical (No pun intended) as to temperment and shock?

Joel

As the French would say " NO DIFFERANCE!"

I can grow N. bical side by side to N. lowii, so it doesn't phase either of them.

But the N. lowii grows better during the winter and the bicals are going out of control now.

M

In your conditions that would be expected. I could probably get by during my spring and summer months, but not winter. My bicals just can't take low 40's for extended times let alone the lower humidity where I'm at. You probably have a nice tropical climate for bical. I recollect Hawaii being fairly humid when I was there.

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

We just have two seasons here in Hawaii. Spring and summer!

Summers last from late May through almost December.

I was rummaging and found this photo:
md_41167_p563563.jpg

N. Rokko x (spectabilis x rafflesiana)

Michael

Back