Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Albomarginata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I've got an N. albomarginata (Kuching Spotted) from Malesiana Tropicals since 7 month, it's growing but very slowly.
    I've got warm temperature, between 25 and 30 all the year long. My other nep grow well and quick, but this nep not a lot.
    Maybe to much humidity in the soil.
    I climbed Kinabalu, and i'll go soon again....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think its the soil...Because I use a very airy soil to all my Neps...And I have to water it 3 times a week..
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the Albomarginata i saw near Kuching grew on a very dry soil, with full sun.
    I climbed Kinabalu, and i'll go soon again....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I know..I have read somewhere that the rootsystem gets stronger that way..so its pretty dry..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...I see "dry" in quite a few posts...

I used to grow mine in ideal lowland conditions, next to flourishing N.rafflesiana, N.ampullaria, N.gracilis and N.bicalcarata. No pitcher, for coming 2 years!

Then I decided to condemn it to top corner of my plant rack where it happens to be empty. That place is windy and WHAM! the plant pitchered in less than a week! It has got two beautiful pitchers now, going on to the third. I also noticed that during rainy season, the tip of the tendril will die off before the pitcher could form.

So, keep it high and dry! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] In fact, I just picked it up last night 'cos it got blown off the rack by the wind. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

A pix of the shy guy...
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thx...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy,
    Your story sounds like what happened to us. We had our albo rubra back in the bical corner with the northiana, sumatrana...you get the picture. It was growing painfully slow and stopped pitchering during summer. Our albo-Penangs from MT were growing like weeds in a brighter spot with a more open mix. We repotted the rubra into our "cypress mulch mix" described in another thread, in a clay pot. The pitchers have doubled in size and the plant is now growing much quicker. The clay pot not only cools the roots, but dries out faster. We've found a few Neps do better for us in clay pots with the more rapid drying out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HHMMM
    Will have to try my albo,s a little dryer to see if there is any difference they seem to have stopped doing anything at the mo.They are in pure LFS so might have to try a different mix.
    Cindy
    That albo looks very nice [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Bye for now Julian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast