Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mealy bugs and nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, Trent, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Capslock definately has mealybugs. I have seen both whitefly and mealybug and those things could not possibly be whitefly eggs. They are the cocoons that mealybugs are found in. Whitefly eggs are far too small.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far everything I have read on here seems to point out that we are talking about white flies. Its a different species, much smaller than the one more people are familair with. but in any event, they BOTH require the same kind of treatment, bith are sucking hemipterous insects that auses damage from sucking juices out of the plant. both in large quantities can cause necroses or even death to that plant organ.
    I prefer a system as I have way too many plants, some faster growing than others and when I use a systemic, I get nearly all of them, even new growth and old alike. I do spray perdiodically with Talstar and even a malathion wp just to prevent immunity of the insect to a particular insecticide. if you have a few plants (less than a thousand), its good to swab and clean them manually, but if you have too many, by the time you clean a few hundred, the previously cleaned ones may already be infected again. I am lazy and prefer to just nuke* them with a systemic.

Its interesting that the larval stage of this pest seems to be a stationary parasite that actually becomes part of the host plant when sucking and doing damage.

(* FYI: Nuking doesn't refer to the use of nuclear war heads or weapons of mass destruction)
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would crickets eat theese things? Are there any preditorial insects that would prove helpful?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would normally say something like "Did you have a brain tumor for breakfast?" But I won't!

But I will just say that spraying a systemic is really the best remedy. There are ladybird beetles that are carnivorous and would eat these but will never completely control them to absolute genocide of the population.

Crickets don't eat other bugs!
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geese, I dont know what crickets eat. All I know is that I've seen crickets performing acts of cannibalism quite frequently, so I thought they might eat other bugs too. Just an observation... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen whitefly and plenty of it and to me, Capslock doesn't have whitefly. Whitefly lays their eggs underneath the leaves. They also form those "spirally, circular" white lines on the underside of the leaf. That's the first clue for whitefly. Then when the infestation gets worse, you get the white silky threads that look like spider webs. The eggs are usually in the middle of the cobweb mess under the leaf.

As for mealy bug, I've only seen them infest my Sarracenias in the crowns. I've never seen little white "eggs" like Caplock's on the leaves. When my orchids get mealybug, I always see the baby guys, but never those white eggs so I have no idea what Capslock has on his leaves.

Just my take on those lovely little parasitic gems we have here in So. Cal!!

Joel
    Nepenthes Around the House

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever this is neps, I think it is mainly, or only, found in southern CA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I got some in a shipment of neps from Hawaii, lol.

And from all this duscussion, it's still a mystery pest. I think the "alien" theory is still leading.

I think the closest guess is whitefly, as there are no mealy bugs around (I know what those look like.) But as Joel points out, I don't get have some of the telltale signs.

Again, WHAT ARE THESE FOUL BEASTS

Capslock [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast