What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tell me more about n. saranganiensis

The only things Google and the CP photo finder knew are very limited and the images are small. The CP database (Schlauer/Walker) knows this:

N: +[Nepenthes saranganiensis {Kurata}]
P: J.Ins.Pl.Soc.(Japan) 54:41 (2003)
T: Sarangani Prov., Mindanao, PH, 18. 10. 2002, S.Kurata 5008 (MAN)
CLA: CAR-NEP-NEP-NEP-NEP-NEP
L: PH (Mindanao)
LFR:104: Philippines
RLC: DD

Sarangani Province are two small islands south of Mindanao, southern Philippines. One of them seems to be quite mountainous.
Judging from the tiny images, it doesn't look too different from alata.

Volker

I actually read a thread on another forum about saranganiensis a couple months ago. I will go back and see what I can dig up. Get back to you as soon as possible.

-D. Lybrand

Volker,
If I remember correctly, it practically is the same thing as alata. There were a few minor morphological differences.

I think it is mentioned in this CPN but as alata. IT is supposed to look slightly different but then there are so many forms of alata I'm not sure what slightly different means.

i assume it's highland?

Hey all.

JLAP: I believe it is a highland from my previous readings.

Volker: Sorry, but the previous forum I read about saranganiensis on no longer exists. I will try others, though.

-D. Lybrand

Tre's right. I saw it in CPN. There was nothing about highland or lowland as I recall, but I believe the difference from alata was not really in the pitchers, but some difference in the petiole, leaf, or inflorescence.

As you can see on the image of Sarangani province below it seems to be more of a lowlander - although I wouldn't be surprised if it was found on that mountain top (848m).

sarangani.jpg

Judging from the tiny online images of the plant, it seems that the leaf blades run down the stem in a similar manner like N. gracilis. But maybe I am wrong - it is really hard to see.

Thank you all,
Volker

I'm willing to bet it can be grown in intermediate conditions and probibly either of the other two

Back