What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More questions

Are there lowland forms of N.ventricosa??
And I have noticed something about the pitchers on my ventricosa and truncata...the pithcer lid closes sometimes..but when I spray them thet open up again..I grow them as lowlander with 30C day and 25C night...

You won't find any ventricosas labelled as highland or lowland forms like you will for veitchii and truncata, but the species is extremely adaptable and any form will grow well in any Nepenthes environment (save maybe ultra-highland).

Lids are probably closing due to low humidity. This is why they open again when you spray them.

Hope it helps!

-D. Lybrand

No, there are no lowland forms.

That may be due to low humidity.

Yes but the RH is around 70%..

if that reading is accurate. then give them time to adapt if they havn't already.

are you watering them enough?

Pitcher lids drooping is a sure sign of heat/moisture stress. The plant is unable to keep up the cell turgor pressure due to excessive heat or lack of sufficient moisture in the air or at the roots.

Odds are your humidity meter is incorrect. They are notoriously inaccurate unless you have an expensive proffesional meter.

As for the plants, while a little drooping of the pitcher lids isn't the end of the world. It does indicate a minor problem. It will shorten pitcher life and obviously even minor stress will have a negative effect on plant health/growth. I would also be mildly concerned that it doesn't grow into a bigger problem.

Tony

Yeah, he's right. I have two in my greenhouse, one will say 30% and the other will be up at 70%.

I think that the RH is tight because I have 2 and both show the same.. but i yhink i will have to water it some more...

I think it is heat stress...i checked the temp this morning and it was 33C my anamenis got really bad...and its loosing 2 pitchers..I cant cool it because its the same temp in the whole room..and its 36C outside..

Do you have a little fan in your terrarium?

Yes...But it dosent helo cooling...But I am builibg a new one..it will be finished tomorrow..so i will transfer all the plants to it...And it keeps the hot air out...

Back