User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 11

Thread: More questions

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there lowland forms of N.ventricosa??
    And I have noticed something about the pitchers on my ventricosa and truncata...the pithcer lid closes sometimes..but when I spray them thet open up again..I grow them as lowlander with 30C day and 25C night...
    Need all the experience I can get...

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't find any ventricosas labelled as highland or lowland forms like you will for veitchii and truncata, but the species is extremely adaptable and any form will grow well in any Nepenthes environment (save maybe ultra-highland).

    Lids are probably closing due to low humidity. This is why they open again when you spray them.

    Hope it helps!

    -D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land (Los Gatos, Caifornia)
    Posts
    945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, there are no lowland forms.

    That may be due to low humidity.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but the RH is around 70%..
    Need all the experience I can get...

  5. #5
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if that reading is accurate. then give them time to adapt if they havn't already.

    are you watering them enough?

  6. #6
    Tony Paroubek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Far Away NY
    Posts
    4,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pitcher lids drooping is a sure sign of heat/moisture stress. The plant is unable to keep up the cell turgor pressure due to excessive heat or lack of sufficient moisture in the air or at the roots.

    Odds are your humidity meter is incorrect. They are notoriously inaccurate unless you have an expensive proffesional meter.

    As for the plants, while a little drooping of the pitcher lids isn't the end of the world. It does indicate a minor problem. It will shorten pitcher life and obviously even minor stress will have a negative effect on plant health/growth. I would also be mildly concerned that it doesn't grow into a bigger problem.

    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land (Los Gatos, Caifornia)
    Posts
    945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he's right. I have two in my greenhouse, one will say 30% and the other will be up at 70%.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the RH is tight because I have 2 and both show the same.. but i yhink i will have to water it some more...
    Need all the experience I can get...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •