What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Esteemed Colleagues,

For some reason Wistuba is the only seller of N. pervillei and has now pretty much given up on TC ing the plant. This species seems to be very difficult to come by. I've read some threads that it's around in Europe and can be grown as a lowlander / intermediate and that it isn't too difficult to grow. Does anyone grow this species? I've never seen it available from Borneo, Exotica, or Malesiana either. It seems rarer than jacquelineae or aristolochioides!! I would love more information about this species if anyone has any information about it.

Thanks as always,
Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

This plant has been on my want list for some time. Since Wistuba is no longer TC ing it, does that mean I missed my chance?!

There have been threads on this before, by me ;) I know there are peole growing it who frequent this site so you should get some responses. The rumor seems to be that it is easy when young but then becomes hard to grow. No one has ever explained this exactly as far as I remember.

I am looking forward to the posts to this thread. Hpefully we can find out where to get this plant. Looks like it's now or never
smile_h_32.gif

Glenn

There are probabaly some old threads if you try a search.  There was also discussion at CPUK on it.  

From my recollection Wistuba and Triffid Park were the only places that had it widely available.  Triffid Park hasn't had it on their list for some time.  Not sure why Wistuba has stopped producing it.  Perhaps it was something with TC production or some other reason not related to customer demand.

I didn't find it too terribly difficult in typical lowland conditions.  It was one of Triffid Parks plants that grew to about 8" diameter.  I kept mine dryer than a typical Nepenthes but accidently let it get too dry once ;/

Tony

i'd really like one if i could find one for sale in america.

i've heard they are easy while small but they are difficult when they are large.

Wistuba still has it listed on his website as "sold out". Does anyone know for sure if he has stopped producing it?

I got an email back from Wistuba stating he was having a very difficult time producing it in TC. That's why it is so back ordered. He related to me that he may discontinue the plant because of the difficulties TC ing it. I did hear about a grower in Germany that said pervillei was quite easy to grow, but that they didn't ship to the US anymore. And as Tony said, Triffid Park hasn't had that species listed since I've been visiting their site. I wonder why Borneo or Malesiana haven't had it available?

Joel

This is really one of those enigmatic species. Over the years I have heard conflicting reports on cultivation, some say it's difficult, others say it's easy. One grower said it dislikes extremes, and requires very humid, sunny conditions with temps not too hot and not too cool. Other reports say keep it warm. About the only thing they all agree on is it likes bright conditions.
As for availability: I guess someone needs to make a trip to the Seychelles...after going thru the proper channels to collect seed.

I got a plant from Wistuba about 7 months ago.  It seems to be doing well so far, as it has doubled in size, though it is still small, about 3 in. in diameter.  It is growing outdoors in my yard in Honolulu in LFS in a plastic pot in bright shade.  It gets top watered 2-3 times a week.  I had read that it was difficult to grow.  But I figured that the climates of Honolulu and the Seychelles might be similar enough that it would grow here.  When I got the plant, there were tiny pitchers on it, and I used to feed it ants.  These pitchers have since died, although the leaves are still alive.  (Maybe they weren't used to Hawaiian ants.)  There have been no new pitchers, although one seems to be forming now.  I haven't been able to find much information about growing N. pervillei, so I hope that others who grow it will share their knowledge.

Tonys plant was a nice little one. It didn't seem to unusual for any Nepenthes plant, but the drier soil seemed to tickle its fancy. Judging by habitat photos I'd say its in a pretty dry environment, at the root level.

you go to Tony's alot... do you know if he has any for sale?

past tense has me worried... either his plant is dead or it's nice and big now. hoping for the latter
confused.gif

Tropics,
I grew my plant as a windowsill plant for about a year at least. It never did anything great, but didn't die either. Then I noticed the bottom leaves blackening, so I moved it outdoors to increase air circulation and give it a more "natural" environment. It responded temporarily with new growth and then died. What's weird is the availability. I've seen seed grown jacs, or macrophyllas going for $$ while pervillei was relatively inexpensive from Wistuba. It seems this species isn't "rare" by monetary standards but remains elusive in availability standards. I think that's what irks me. I love this species and would love to grow it, but I can't find it!! It's one thing to be like edwardsiana that is $$$$$ and extremely scarce. But from what I've heard about pervillei, it isn't an issue of $$$$ for hobbyists to obtain. You'd think there would be more seed grown specimens available.

Joel

Clint, if you read Tony's preceding post, you would know its now dead.
smile_m_32.gif

ooh my bad lol

I found it very hard. I have two plants on order (have been waiting for a longgg time now!). I tried once before with this plant. The previous conditions were kinda lowland, dark, stuffy, etc. The plant was fine at first then started to suffer - I think from lack of light - and died. This time round I will try a bright terrarium. Sunny intermediate if you like, with a degree of air movement. Hopefully will be fine. Aparrently leaf spotting is caused by lack of light. In a bout of lateral thinking I posted a query on the UK Orchid Forum about Seychelles conditions in general, which threw up a few interesting observations (link here).

If only someone would tell me what soil to use........ lol

Will feedback once the plants are received later this year (hopefully).

I’ve also noticed the cost/availability phenomenon that Joel mentioned. Maybe it’s because there’s not much demand for N. pervillei. After all, it doesn’t have wild colors or an unusual shape. It’s just modestly different from whatever most people imagine as the norm.

Thanks to everyone who has supplied information relevant to growing N. pervillei.

Hi
They had quite a few N. pervillei at Kew Gardens when I went there on Saturday
smile.gif
All different sizes- no pitchers though
smile_l_32.gif

cheers

bill

Wow, they must be hard to grow if even Kew Gardens can't get them to pitcher!

Where abouts at Kew?

Grrrr. Wouldn't you know it. To refute my earlier posting Andreas has contacted me to say there are no pervillei in stock and he doesn't know when they will be so again....
smile_h_32.gif

Hello,

Here's mine, i've got it since one month ( from a friend ), no pitchers but a new leave appear 1 week ago.
My plant is growing in Pouzzolane, Aqualite, and just a very little of sphagnum.
Temperature by the day is around 30°, and about 24° by night.
The soil is dry. I give to my plant just a little of water once by week.
And about light, the plant is growing under 9600L (110W philips ), in a small terra.

The plant looks fine, and growing well.....but quite slowly !

Regards.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob-Rah @ July 10 2005,5:41)]Where abouts at Kew?
Hi Rob,
they are in the Lower Nursery- not on public display. I did Kew an injustice as looking at my photo see there are a few young pitchers.
smile.gif

other\pervillei.jpg

cheers

bill

Back