Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is n. pervillei around?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Esteemed Colleagues,

For some reason Wistuba is the only seller of N. pervillei and has now pretty much given up on TC ing the plant. This species seems to be very difficult to come by. I've read some threads that it's around in Europe and can be grown as a lowlander / intermediate and that it isn't too difficult to grow. Does anyone grow this species? I've never seen it available from Borneo, Exotica, or Malesiana either. It seems rarer than jacquelineae or aristolochioides!! I would love more information about this species if anyone has any information about it.

Thanks as always,
    Joel
    Nepenthes Around the House

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant has been on my want list for some time. Since Wistuba is no longer TC ing it, does that mean I missed my chance?!

There have been threads on this before, by me I know there are peole growing it who frequent this site so you should get some responses. The rumor seems to be that it is easy when young but then becomes hard to grow. No one has ever explained this exactly as far as I remember.

I am looking forward to the posts to this thread. Hpefully we can find out where to get this plant. Looks like it's now or never [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are probabaly some old threads if you try a search. There was also discussion at CPUK on it.

From my recollection Wistuba and Triffid Park were the only places that had it widely available. Triffid Park hasn't had it on their list for some time. Not sure why Wistuba has stopped producing it. Perhaps it was something with TC production or some other reason not related to customer demand.

I didn't find it too terribly difficult in typical lowland conditions. It was one of Triffid Parks plants that grew to about 8" diameter. I kept mine dryer than a typical Nepenthes but accidently let it get too dry once ;/

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd really like one if i could find one for sale in america.

i've heard they are easy while small but they are difficult when they are large.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wistuba still has it listed on his website as "sold out". Does anyone know for sure if he has stopped producing it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an email back from Wistuba stating he was having a very difficult time producing it in TC. That's why it is so back ordered. He related to me that he may discontinue the plant because of the difficulties TC ing it. I did hear about a grower in Germany that said pervillei was quite easy to grow, but that they didn't ship to the US anymore. And as Tony said, Triffid Park hasn't had that species listed since I've been visiting their site. I wonder why Borneo or Malesiana haven't had it available?

Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is really one of those enigmatic species. Over the years I have heard conflicting reports on cultivation, some say it's difficult, others say it's easy. One grower said it dislikes extremes, and requires very humid, sunny conditions with temps not too hot and not too cool. Other reports say keep it warm. About the only thing they all agree on is it likes bright conditions.
    As for availability: I guess someone needs to make a trip to the Seychelles...after going thru the proper channels to collect seed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a plant from Wistuba about 7 months ago. It seems to be doing well so far, as it has doubled in size, though it is still small, about 3 in. in diameter. It is growing outdoors in my yard in Honolulu in LFS in a plastic pot in bright shade. It gets top watered 2-3 times a week. I had read that it was difficult to grow. But I figured that the climates of Honolulu and the Seychelles might be similar enough that it would grow here. When I got the plant, there were tiny pitchers on it, and I used to feed it ants. These pitchers have since died, although the leaves are still alive. (Maybe they weren't used to Hawaiian ants.) There have been no new pitchers, although one seems to be forming now. I haven't been able to find much information about growing N. pervillei, so I hope that others who grow it will share their knowledge.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast