What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me

Hey all,
I recieved 5 nep cuttings about 6 months ago. None of them had tags. 3 of them are producing pitchers now. 1 is still too small to ID, but here are the other 2.
I think this one is a maxima but I am not sure....It just opened so it hasn't colored up all the way yet.
unid%20nep%20cutting%20pitcher%201.JPG

I think this one is a miranda upper, I think....Also can anyone ID the non carnivorous plant next to the second pitcher? That popped up in an empty pot.
unid%20nep%20cutting%20pitcher%202.JPG

Anyone know what they are?

iono but i know the second isn't x Miranda.

BUMP
Wheres Tony or any of the other nep experts???

Hi Ron,
Your first pic could be a maxima hybrid. The second pic is not a Miranda. It looks like a hybrid also. Any clues for us - highland growing? heat lover? Easy? Where did you get the 5 cuttings? The leaf and growth habit can also help id them. At this point, they could be anything.
The second pic could be a sanguinea hybrid or even reminds me of a N. madagascarensis, except it's too red. Sorry, the id is not jumping out at me. Have you tried asking the source where you got the plants?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Any clues for us - highland growing? heat lover? Easy? Where did you get the 5 cuttings?
I got the cuttings from a member on here who lives about 3 miles away
smile.gif
Back in January he was cleaning out his greenhouse and invited me over for a trade. I haven't seen him on here in a loong time. I did find his email address though. maybe I'll send the pics to him.
I have them growing in my lowland setup. 70 to 85 degrees, 95 percent humidity.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The leaf and growth habit can also help id them.
I'll post pics of the whole plants later.

Yes, we remember the post on the trade forum. He had a bunch of beautiful Nep hybrids and species. I think both of the Neps you have pictured are hybrids, in which case, the leaf and growth habit won't help too much in getting an id. The best we could do is guess. It couldn't hurt to try and ask the dude who gave you the cuttings.

The other non carnivorous plant in the second pic looks like it could be a Hoya.

I sent him an email, however no response.
confused.gif
Anyone else want to try to ID these neps?

Re: the non-carnivorous plant, maybe a Dischidia?
T.
Edit, forget that, I was thinking D. bengalensis, but I'd only ever seen a dried one.
confused.gif

The variegated plant is NOT a hoya. Nor is it a dischidia, a ceropegia, a phylostema, a or any other asclepiad!
The second nepenthes looks like the natural hybrid N. stenophylla x lowii. but need to see the leaf to make a final determination and how the tendril is attached to the leaf blade. The lid seems a bit too sparse for it to be the steno x lowii hybrid, but this could be an upper pitcher with less characteristics.

Definutely show more plant for both. The first photo shows two plants. One has leaves broad like a hybrid of N. maxima x truncata while the one on the right looks like a N. mirabilis hybrid type.

That's my educated (just pretending to be intelligent) guess!

Michael

OK, here are the pics of the whole plants.
First, the first plant showing the leaf...
unid'd%20nep%20cutting%20plant%201.JPG

Next is the first plant as seen from the top...
unid'd%20nep%20cutting%20plant%201%20top.JPG

The second plant as seen from the top...
unid'd%20nep%20cutting%20plant%202%20topJPG.JPG

And the whole leaf and pitcher. it looks like an upper...
unid'd%20nep%20cutting%20plant%202%20leaf.JPG

And now there is a third unidentified plant (the one that shows up in the first pic a little) This plant has a new pitcher also but it's really small. The leaves have fuzzy edges.
unid'd%20nep%20cutting%20plant%203%20top.JPG

And a pic of the leaf on the third plant...
unid'd%20nep%20cutting%20plant%203%20leaf.JPG

I think the 3rd plant is N. mirabilis. Thin leaves like N. coccinea but with fuzzy leaf margins.
I think the first one is N.maxima. Or rokko. What does rokko have in it?

I would be very very hesitant to call an unknown cutting N. maxima. There are many many hybrids that have a large portion of N. maxima and look very similar. While they may appear as a N. maxima, they are not.

N. Rokko is N. thorelii x maxima

Hey dude, you got serious spider mite damage. Need to spray or else you'll get some weird new growth/leaves to follow.

The first picture is most likely a N. maxima. It could also be a form of Deroos N. Miranda, they have three forms of that variety.

The second could be N. truncata x ventricosa
This may seem very right field, but the leaf tips resemble a truncata type and I'm guessling that this would have to be an original primary hybrid and N. ventricosa, alata and petiolata were about the only candidates for this truncata hybrid.

The third is most likely N. mirabilis v. echinostoma (The peristome is out of focus but it looks broad and pronounced)

michael

Ron,
Was the dude's name something like Ludwig?

If it was Ludwig, he had a bunch of fancy semi-rare hybrids. I remember the post on the trade forum. Your plants aren't run of the mill 'Miranda' or plain old maxima. Some of the cuttings he gave away were thorelii x truncata, belii x ventricosa, thorelii x xmixta, ventricosa x macro vulgaris, and probably many others that I don't remember. He has one of the real N. Mixta, and a few other very awesome hybrids. Do you still have his address or phone number? If you really want to find out the names of your plants, he's the man who would know. I'm afraid the growth habit pics don't help that much because ... there are so many possible hybrid combinations. The best we can do here is guess, which doesn't really help, but it's fun.

Back