What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics: wild amps and stuff in sarawak

These shots were taken by a Sarawak-based Taiwanese acquaintance who took all of them in one single day within a five mile radius from his home. Talk about a perfect location...

All pics are absolutely gorgeous, but the multi-colored amp at the end is nothing if not mind-boggling. (btw, what exactly IS it???)

http://192.192.42.4/~tbgweb....&show=0

Awesome pics... thx for posting.
smile.gif

Forgot to mention: the guy who took these pix sells clones of that otherworldly three-color-amp, albeit for three hundred bucks a pop...

I really wish senility would arrive a bit quicker for me. Once I'm happily benighted, I won't hesitate another second to fork out a month's rent for a plant
smile.gif

Does he have a website or some other way to contact him about those amps?

-D. Lybrand

Buy one, propagate it, sell the original for $300, repeat.
smile.gif

If I got one and resold it, My heart would haveto haveto offer a discount for the customers.
smile_m_32.gif

It would be pretty easy to make money off a valuable amp. They make basals like mad!

-D. Lybrand

P.S.- does anyone know how to contact this guy?

Yeah, I want one. I'll pay that. (Yes, I realize I'm not smart.)

Great pics, thanks for the link!

Capslock

Capslock, dlybrand et al.:

I don't know Amos Yu's email address, but I just sent him a PM asking for it. If you want to contact him directly via the Taiwanese forum, go to the link in my original post, look for his name (amosyu) and click on the first icon to the right of it (the one with the little speedometer) to send him a PM.

cheers

Hans

Are you sure that is 100% amp? I think it looks like a N. x Hookeriana...though a humdinger of one!

Cheers,

Joe

I agree Joe, that's exactly what I was thinking.

I also wonder if Amos can get the correct paperwork if he sells you one of those plants. I have no idea what you need to receive one but the Sarawak gov is pretty anal about exporting ANY plant material without the correct paperwork.

Cheers, Troy.

I was confused too for a while, looking at that picture right before the airplane wing. But I found at the bottom of the thread Amos posted a few more pictures. The N. ampullaria with the red/green peristome is indeed odd.

My reading of them, in order, is: Hookeriana, ampullaria, Hookeriana, rafflesiana, gracilis, rafflesiana, gracilis, bicalcarata, rafflesiana, ampullaria, ampullaria x bicalcarata (spectacular hybrid clone indeed), *shot over plane wing*, Trichocarpa, Trichocarpa ?, ampullaria (absolutely awesome - probably a fair bit of hybridisation in its heritage), same ampullaria.

Hi everyone

Amos' email is amosyu01@yahoo.com.tw, and he'll be happy to answer youse inquiries...

I don't know how good his English is, but in case of language hiccups, feel free to contact me off-forum, I'll be glad to help out.

cheers

Hans

Tony, that red pitcher with the green and red perisrome caught my eye too. It looks like bicalcarata x ampullaria. What a fantastic natural hybrid.
The last two pics of the spotted amp looks fairly "pure blooded" to me, but then again, I've never seen them in their habitat and Troy has probably seen hundreds. Troy, how many different ampullaria plants do you think you've seen?
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hans Breuer @ July 19 2005,6:41)]All pics are absolutely gorgeous, but the multi-colored amp at the end is nothing if not mind-boggling. (btw, what exactly IS it???)
smile_k_ani_32.gif
[Picking jaw up off of the floor]

some translation...the funny side of amos yu's trip to kuching,Sarawak...while searching for neps some locals ask what he was looking for..."choo loong chow" replied Amos.The locals (likely chinese settlers ) thought amos was hunting for wild pigs:O
smile_k_ani_32.gif

...the locals must have misunderstood and heard the name "choo" which mean pig in chinese...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

.....the forest ..my garden..

Back