What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
These two pics are of a Nep that I recieved from my Orchid society and it was unlabled.  I just produced its first pitcher.

cp's%20003.jpg

cp's%20004.jpg

Here is 3 pics of the one that I have that I think may be mislabeled.

cp's%20005.jpg

cp's%20006.jpg

cp's%20007.jpg

The label says N. Sanguenia 'Orange' but there is no orange in the plant. Thanks everyone.

I cut and pasted the addy from the properties so I got a look at it. Kinda hard to tell but I think it might be x ventrata

I finaly got it working if I need to take a little clearer pics let me know I thought they were pretty goo untill I uploaded them and looked at the thread. Thanks.

Hello Josh! I think your first Nepenthes, the red one is Nepenthes x ventrata (ventricosa x alata). Once the plant starts to produce more pitchers, these pitchers will start to be bigger and will develope a more characteristic peristome, you know like those of the ventricosa.

The second plant is indeed a sanguinea, but if the plant is an orange pitchering, yo uwill ned to wait a little more. The reason for this is that those pitchers are still immature, as the plant. Once the plant gets more mature will produce bigger pitchers and they will start to gain its orange coloration, if happens to be that this plant is an orange pitchering. So patience is the clue here.

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

ok Thanks that makes sence now.  So you think the first is a hybred like Pyro? ok makes sence.  I assume the peristome is the area around where the pitcher opens hence the word peri---stome.  Its good to know tha the one that green will color up after it matures a little more.  I thought the young pitchers would have most of the ame charectoristics of the ature ones.  I guess thats what I get for thinking.  Thanks to you and Pyro.

Hey there! Yes, i do think the 1st one is this hybrid. And yes, the peristome is the border of the pitcher, bellow the lid. This part is very characteristic of ventricosa and ventricosa hybrids, since they use to have a very beautiful red and curved peristome. But when the plant is immature, or has very few pitchers, or it is going thru an acclimatization process the peristome and the whole pricher can be not as showy as they use to be.

I think it is the ventrata hybrid, because ventrata have a fat botom, and then a narrow top. In the other hand, the ventricosa has a fat bottom and a fat top, and in the middle of the pitcher has a narrow waist. Also, the red coloration and the lack of wings tells me it is a ventrata. At least this is my humble opinion
smile.gif

About the sanguinea, believe me they are immature pitchers, but once the plant starts to produce more mature pitchers you will see a difference. Then you will have the chance to see if those pitchers start to become otrange or not thru the whole pitcher. Common sanguinea uses to have some orange coloration in the top of the pitcher, but these orange variety is orange thru the whole picher. But as i told you, you will ned to wait a little to see this.

About the way the immature pitchers look, believe me they are a little different than mature pitchers. Most of the Nepenthes porduce strange, green pitchers when they are immature. I can tell you that i had that problem with some ventricosa plants i bought last winter. They were small plants and they had very strange looking, green, small pitchers that have different forms. They all looked like they were all of different species. But now that they are more mature, they all have the same red, narrow-waisted pitchers
smile.gif

I hope you post pics of your Nepenthes in the future, so we all can see the development of your plants
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

I plan onit now that I know how to post pics.  
biggrin.gif
I know with chids once an orchid is NoID its best to leave it that way because its so hard to tell what the hybred is.  Alot od Orchid hybred look similar and so your never sure if the guess your making is correct.  Is it similar with Nep?  Since its a NoID I should leave it that way.  Just know that its a ventrata hybrid.  With Orchids its considered unresponcable hybredizing if you are not aware of the hybreds parents.  Is it considered the same with Nep? Thank you so much for the explanation its helping me grasp this alot better.

Hello Again! I really know how hard it is to know the parents on hybrids of Orchids. I have a big collection of Orchids, and i have just decided not to go on looking on the parents, not even on the names of orchids. It is too compicated and most of the time, as you say, yo u may be sayin a name while the plant is another one.
mad.gif

But with Nepenthes it is different. It is not that hard, becuase most of Nepenthes breeders keep extence and detailed records of all hybridization. Aslo the Nepnthes hybrids can be recognice easier because most of the hybrids produce pitchers that are intermediate of both parents; even in complex hybrids yo ucan see the hints that lead you to the parentage. So we are not having the same problem that we have with orchids. At least not in this moment and not with most of Nepenthes hybrids, though as with all, there are some exceptions.
smile_m_32.gif

That hybrid (N. x ventrata) is a simpe and very common hybrid, so it is easy to say that its parents are ventricosa and alata. So do not worry, Nepenthes are easier that orchids, academicly talking
smile.gif

BTW, where are you located in the World? Since you have a lot of orchids, as i see in the pics, i guess you are in a tropical or sub-tropical region, right?

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

I think the one picture that has a tag that says N. sanguinea orange may very well indeed be sanguinea orange. The broad leaves and the way it is attached to the stem seems like it is a sanguinea. The coloring will come out later as the plant matures.

Michael

Thanks a bunch I was just unsure but the experts have spoken.
biggrin.gif

Back