What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid bark!

I just got back from Home Depot where I found a sickly looking Nep, I'm pretty sure it is a ventricosa but I'm not where near an expert so it's just a guess, it's bigger than the sanguinea I have and I have it on a windowsill right now because I need to repot it. So I got some orchid bark which I've heard is a very good ingredient for nep medium, I just wanted to know if I got the right kind before I used it. It's called "Shultz Potting Bark & Decorative Soil Cover" And then it goes on about how it's good for orchids and blah blah blah so I'm assuming I got the right stuff. Did I?

As long as there is no "inpregnated fertilizer" like Miracle Gro does to thier peat moss it should be fine, esp. if its meant for orchids.

I have no knowledge of that product at all, but a general warning on bark is to make sure it's well weathered/aged. Fresh bark can be toxic to some plants, so it is often an idea to soak it in water for a few days to leach out tannins etc. I soak most bark for a week or more, then leave it in the sun to age before using it. Probably overcautious I know.

I just used some of it, I potted the nep in a mix of 1 part peat moss, 1 part long fibered sphagnum, 2 parts perlite, 1 part sand, and 2 parts orchid bark. Then I topped it off with some long fibered sphagnum and watered it really well. I also washed the orchid bark and long fibered sphagnum just to be sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ July 28 2005,1:14)]I have no knowledge of that product at all, but a general warning on bark is to make sure it's well weathered/aged. Fresh bark can be toxic to some plants, so it is often an idea to soak it in water for a few days to leach out tannins etc. I soak most bark for a week or more, then leave it in the sun to age before using it. Probably overcautious I know.
I soak my bark fairly long also. The tannins thing is kind of funny, as wouldn't that add to the acidity of the soil and be beneficial? I know a lot of people leach their bark(Phil Mann was the first who told me that). Funny thing is how it smells after soaking-almost like Pinesol disifectant cleaner(must be the oils in the bark).
I have some bark on the deck in the sun that soaked all Winter and then the bucket got spilled, lol. Think it's okay to use?

Cheers,

Joe

Back