Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vining

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    leucophylla,
    Better look again. The hamata has 10 pitchers on it and inflating number 11.
    It has been growing in the windowsill for a little over 1 year now.

The humidity fluctuates. So far reading have been around these:

Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (lower humidity in the day. Furnace does not run much, sun shines in the room where I grow the plants. I have a humidifier on my furnace set to around 48%)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to around 65 degrees. (humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the hamata. Nights drop to the mid 60's.

Spring / Summer / Fall humidity: 40 - high 80%. (Windows open and such)

Spring / Summer temps: I would say low 70's to mid 80's. (I usually have the A/C set around 73)

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you say it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] I see also 8 pieces and I have an idea where the remaining two are. I am totally amazed that it retains its pitchers so well with this fluctuating humidity (and A/C!). Is this typical for hamata? Actually I am even amazed that they pitcher at all. However, I haven't yet tried a hamata myself.

Do you have your other Neps also as windowsill plants? How about the bical and the raff?
    Volker
    http://pitcher-plants.com/bannersmall.jpg Manila, Philippines, Elev: 80 m, 24-33 C

Tropical outdoor growers: Please visit our Carnivorous Plants in the tropics forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ventrata doesn't retain pitchers that well either. I'm thinking it's a lighting thing. Has anyone found that pitchers last longer under better lighting? Maybe they need the extra energy to keep fluids circulating to so many places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is a nice looking Hamata.
    Bye for now Julian

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (leucophylla @ July 31 2005,2:30)]Do you have your other Neps also as windowsill plants? How about the bical and the raff?
    Volker
    The bical was started from seed last year and still in a terrarium. It will move out once it gets larger.
    I have growing and grown the following as windowsill plants without problems. N. 'Emmarene' (khasiana x ventricosa), N. rafflesiana, N. 'ventrata' (Nepenthes ventricosa x alata), N. sanguinea, and N. hamata.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wicked pitchers I have got to find one of those. very nice and looks like I can grow it outseid with my others Sweet. Thanks for sharing.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12