What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting lfs off of nep roots

I bought this nice sized N. ventricosa? from Home Depot and I bought some supplies and repotted it but since it was growing in Long Fibered Sphagnum it was really hard to the LFS off of the roots without ripping the roots off! By the time I got most of the LFS off I had given up, I didn't really think it would hurt anyway so I potted it with a few strands of LFS on the roots but I just wanted to know if there was a special trick to getting it off of the roots, I tried washing it off and everything... any ideas?

BTW, I potted it in 1 part peat, 2 parts perlite, 1 part sand, 2 parts orchid bark, and 1 part long fibered sphagnum. Is that a good mix?

Having lfs around the roots is ok. I've potted lots of neps like that before without removing the moss and never had a problem. The mix sounds pretty good. I personally have never used sand in a nep mix before, but it should be fine. Most neps aren't very picky, especially N. ventricosa, which yours most likely is(or something similar to it), coming from Home Depot.

I just used some sand cuz I had it, I didn't use that much though.

I just use 100% LFS to start Neps from cuttings, and repot them in 2:1 LFS/orchid bark. They do just fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and repot them in 2:1 LFS/orchid bark.

I love that mix! You can keep the plant watered just by having high humidity, you never need to worry about overwatering, and it looks quite nice.

Interesting I will have to try this mix for some future Nep. I have the two I have now planted in straight peat. Thanks for the info.

Back