What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mosquitoe breeding!

To my horror today, I found two of my rafflesiana squat red pitchers playing host to about 6 mosquitoe larva each. In my haste to get rid of them, I poured the larvae out...I should have collected and identified them first (or maybe feed them to my bettas!) Sorry I cant describe what sp. of larvae but ,  here in Singapore , I dont think the Health Inspectors would check...they will fine me first the moment they find I'm breeding Mosquitoes, then only ID the species!...and I think my nep collection would have to go if that ever happens
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Getting back to subject, I need help on this! And please dont advice me to check each individual pitcher - even if its only one check a week, it is very difficult. I will try to do that for now, until I find another method of prevention.
Does anyone have experience of this?

For your information, the pitcher fluids were Not Putrified, it was as normal as ever, just ants and a cricket in one, ants only in the other

I know that mosquitoe larvae are natural inhabitants  of pitchers in the wild. But I think C. Clarke mentioned something about the pitchers being too harsh for viruses like dengue to survive. Can anyone verify that?

Thanks

I did a little search and came across this website:
http://www.pondsandgardens.com/catalog/watertreat.htm
I'm not sure if it'll work. You may have to do a little experimenting.

You may also want to do a Google search on "plant friendly mosquito removal". Hopefully someone out there may be able to give better advice.

Good luck and let us know how various ideas work.

Have a great day!
Dwight

I`ve tried those "dunks" but they didn`t work for me.

Well, for saucers with water you can add a drop of vegetable oil, which prevents the mosquito larvae from breathing. Not sure how a Nepenthes pitcher would react on a treatment like that... I am not eager to try - but who knows?
In Singapore even unvoluntary mosquito breeders are punishable? Wow. Sounds cruel like always - but makes actually a lot of sense.
In the worst case you'll need to screen off your pitcher plants then, the ants will still find them.
In my 99% screened greenhouse I have every morning about 5 mosquitos - which is less than in our 100% screened house. I go early when it is cold and they are still slow - so I kill them within 2 minutes and can then focus on my plants.
Volker

I've read a traveller to Africa once used the mucilage from the opuntia cactus (Prickly Pear) and it glazed the entire surface of a pond suffocating the mosquitoes. Supposedly the effect lasts for an entire year. I do not know how many leaves of the cactus were used.

It only takes one, ZF. The prickly pear has many uses. One is using the juices of the prickly pear to coat rawhide and letting it dry. Doing that, and cutting in the right places, you have a servicable, waterproof, Native American "suitcase". The juice in water would make an impenetrable barrier for mosquito larvae to breathe through. Though insects can still be food, falling into the pitcher. Safer than oil I would say.

Thanks Bugweed, I just learned something.
smile.gif

Steve, didn't you mention using the non-stick spray, called PAM?

Where do you grow them?
If I had mosquitos in my tank I would just chop some onions,put it on a plate and put it in the tank for a time...The mosquitos hate it...

Yes, if you need to use an oil based type of mosquito killer, use PAM the non-stick spray. It will coat the water surface, preventing mosquitoes from breathing. However, I do not know if you would want to use it in a Nep pitcher. I would myself, just to see if any harm came to the plant, but, I have no Neps anymore. I am only raising plants from the USA. PAM works like Gangbusters on a water tray!

erm... I am looking for a more passive approach, not so much passive, just that I dont really want to do anything which may harm the pticher. The onion method sounds good...does it stink to the human? And how long does the effect last?
thanks

I wouldnt suggest unions if you want the larva away..
I wouldnt suggest it either if you dont have them in a closed area.

You may want to check out at a bait store or a nearby pond and see if you can find damsel fly or dragon fly larvae. They live in the water and prey upon mosquittoes as larvaes and as adults.

What??? No bladderwort???? They grow in Heliamphora, why not neps???

Have you filled your pitchers with water?
Bugs arent supposed to live in those pitchers???

dont heliamphora get there pitchers filled with rainwater? maybe thats why bladderworts will live there then I think the bladderworts will have a little lack of light maybe..but nepenthes arent supposed to be filled with water right?..(exept ampullaria and other species that have there lid straight up..

For the most part, neps do have water in them.

It is normal to have mosquito larvae in pitchers.

Lam:
The culex species is most common in local nepenthes. If you have enough cotton wool, you may consider stuffing the pitchers up.  
smile_m_32.gif

Seriously, I think a drop of neem oil or pyrethrum oil in the pitcher will help. Both are plant extracts so I don't see how they would harm the plants. I would prefer pyrethrum oil, nicer scent.

Otherwise, poking a hole at the base of the pitcher helps too. I've read that it does not appear to harm the pitcher but but feel is that the pitcher will turn brown faster.

Having sundews all around helps too.
smile.gif

Come to think of it, I better check my pitchers too...

Maybe a small pice of garlic in the picher could help ,might smell a bit though:D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Aug. 09 2005,12:02)]It is normal to have mosquito larvae in pitchers.

Lam:
The culex species is most common in local nepenthes. If you have enough cotton wool, you may consider stuffing the pitchers up.  
smile_m_32.gif

Seriously, I think a drop of neem oil or pyrethrum oil in the pitcher will help. Both are plant extracts so I don't see how they would harm the plants. I would prefer pyrethrum oil, nicer scent.

Otherwise, poking a hole at the base of the pitcher helps too. I've read that it does not appear to harm the pitcher but but feel is that the pitcher will turn brown faster.

Having sundews all around helps too.
smile.gif

Come to think of it, I better check my pitchers too...
Yes I think so, just poured out a sanguinea pitcher! 6 larvae, culex! Those bite! And found 1 pupae in upper rafflesiana, couldnt ID it, but still fed it to my fish...I cant take risks!
What is this neem oil and pyrethrum? And where can I get it? I dont intend to stuff cotton wool or poke holes, that would not hurt the pitchers but they wouldnt be able to feed anymore would they? Or atleast I will end up having to feed them artificially...

The damselfly nymph idea is nice, except I dont think they can survive in pitchers, and they are not available here, have to catch..

Thanks

Both are plant extract pesticides.
smile.gif
Pyrethrum is chrysanthenum oil, I think. Available at Cold Storage or supermarkets. Neem oil is available at tne nurseries.

Back